UNLV student newspaper gets new life

The first day of spring classes at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas brought with it good news for its student newspaper.

The advisory board for The Scarlett & Gray Free Press approved Tuesday morning a funding plan that would allow the newspaper to operate through the 2017 calendar year.

Under the plan, the Las Vegas Review-Journal would donate $40,000 and print the weekly publication for free beginning with its first edition of the spring semester next Monday, Jan. 23.

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 4.15.40 PM.png

“The student newspaper at UNLV has always been an important resource for the Review-Journal and all other news media sources in the valley,” Review-Journal editor-in-chief Keith Moyer said in article published Jan. 10. “We felt it was important to help as we might in ensuring the newspaper’s doors remain open, until it can get itself on better financial footing.”

The agreement comes at a time when funding cuts threatened the student newspaper’s existence. The paper received $30,000 from the Student Life Funding Committee for this academic year, a sharp cut from the $86,500 it had received the previous year.

The staff started a fundraising campaign in November that raised $3,000.

Editor-in-Chief Bianca Cseke said her biggest concern initially was what, if any involvement the Review-Journal would have in the day-to-day operations of the newspaper. Under the agreement, the Review-Journal would have no involvement.

Moving forward, Cseke said the newspaper will be looking at ways to increase its revenue sources. Among the first steps has been the hiring of the paper’s first student fundraising director.

The Scarlett & Gray Free Press is starting its first semester under its new name. Cseke announced in November that the newspaper would change from The Rebel Yell, a name it has held in some form for more than 60 years, because of concerns over its confederate symbolism.

The name change became official at Tuesday’s advisory board meeting.