Tough Times & Big Changes for Virginia Tech Student Media

The Collegiate Times at Virginia Tech is dropping to twice-weekly in print come fall, one of the many changes — big and small — being instituted by its parent company in hopes of surviving “amid the storm clouds of this financial crisis.”

The Educational Media Company at Virginia Tech (EMCVT) oversees the school’s student newspaper, yearbook, literary mag, radio station and broadcast operation. As I previously posted, it has been floundering financially, recently lost at least three professional staff members including its general manager and has been mired in an odd controversy involving the sudden removal of the CT’s editor-in-chief.

According to a new Roanoke Times report, the company is now wheeling and dealing in a variety of ways to help stave off further financial duress. Among them: print newspaper cutbacks, increased sales and management training for student staff, a ratcheting up of alumni support and renegotiated contracts with outside vendors.

Oh, and the Times says the case involving ousted EIC Erica Corder has not yet been fully settled: “Corder wrote in an email this week that she hasn’t received any information about the final decision. She said she’s no longer asking to be reinstated because it would cause too much disruption, but she needs to know how to fill out job applications.” Hmm.