CMM Special Series: What Do Student Journalists Want to Learn More About Journalism? (Part 10)

During his recent efforts to help plan programming for the fall 2015 ACP/CMA National College Media Convention — the world’s largest annual gathering of student journalists and their advisers and profs — David Simpson wanted to hear more from the students themselves. Specifically, he was curious: In these changing times, what do potential student attendees want to get most from a journalism conference experience? So Simpson, a revered veteran journalist and director of student media at Georgia Southern University, reached out to me with his student-first query. I in turn reached out to the summer 2015 CMM Editorial Fellows — an elite crew of current and recent student journalists.

For this CMM special series, 14 Fellows offer their perspectives, ideas and advice centered on a single question: What topic, tech tool, news beat, skill-set or current event would you love to learn more about, lead a session on or help debate during a journalism convention? Their answers run the gamut — touching on everything from science journalism and Snapchat to sexual assault coverage and workflow management.

1

What Do Student Journalists Want to Learn More About Journalism?
Part 10: ‘A Closer Look at Periscope’

By Angela Christaldi, Saint Joseph’s University

Summer 2015 CMM Editorial Fellow

The title of my proposed session for the fall 2015 ACP/CMA convention: “A Closer Look at Periscope.”

Here’s the pitch: At last fall’s ACP/CMA convention in Philadelphia, there was a wide array of sessions to attend. I stopped by a bunch — on topics including live-tweeting, covering breaking news and becoming a successful freelancer. One thing I found to be lacking, however, was the number of panels aimed at introducing us to tools that could be used in the field.

One of the newest up-and-coming apps is Periscope. Described by the Apple App Store as “live broadcast[ing] with a twist,” it allows users to capture, stream, access, interact with and replay real-time video content.

1

There is great journalistic potential for Periscope, especially for sports and hard news reporters. There have also been several emerging issues with the app, including the streaming of copyrighted content like “Game of Thrones” episodes or the recent Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.

The organizers of the 2015 ACP/CMA convention should hold a session explaining the potential uses of this app and others like it. The session should also focus on Periscope’s benefits, intricacies and the thin lines between legal and illegal and ethical and unethical that many users and maybe a few journalists are teetering on.

1

Bottom line, while live-tweeting allows for great descriptions of an event, it does not necessarily capture the atmosphere in the same way a video might. Periscope could revolutionize mobile journalism, as long as we are aware of how to use it properly. Let’s begin building awareness this fall in Austin.

Angela Christaldi is a junior English and communications studies double major at Saint Joseph’s University. She is opinions editor of The Hawk. She is also a summer 2015 CMM Editorial Fellow

Check out other parts of this CMM special series

Part 1: ‘The Interesting Important & the Important Interesting’ by Danielle Klein, University of Toronto

Part 2: ‘Best Practices, Pros, Cons & Even Some Mistakes’ by Emma Discher, Tulane University

Part 3: ‘Fresh Ideas & Fresh Blood’ by Sami Edge, University of Oregon

Part 4: ‘The Way We Edit & Upload Stories’ by Ali Swenson

Part 5: ‘So You Want to Make a Tabloid Newspaper?’ by Claire Dodson, University of Tennessee

Part 6: ‘An Independent Student Newspaper?’ by Kyle Walker, University of Tulsa

Part 7: ‘How to Present Data in the Most Compelling Way’ by Nizia Alam, University of Texas at Tyler

Part 8: ‘Student Media Consumption Habits’ by Matt Lemas, University of Southern California

Part 9: ‘How Can a Student Make It Different?’ by Nicole Brown, New York University