New Student Newspaper at The New School in New York City ‘Dedicated to Reporting Social Justice’

Petra Zarah Jarrar is a student at The New School in New York City, where she majors in politics and global studies. She is also the founder and editor-in-chief of The Antithesis, an online newspaper “dedicated to reporting social justice.”

1

Petra Zarah Jarrar founded and oversees The Antithesis student newspaper at The New School, where she studies politics and global studies.

The outlet tackles a myriad of issues deserving more attention, more context or more humanization — from microaggressions and the minimum wage to misogyny and voluntourism.

As Jarrar writes, “Over the past several months, the public has become witness to the successes and failures of justice in our system. We’ve seen culprits cheat conviction, and our own children die due to aggression and violence. I don’t know about you, but I feel like we’ve begun living in a time where people have had enough of sitting back and watching the world crumble before their eyes. It is time to take action. … Starting The Antithesis has given me the opportunity to explore what justice means to me, and take initiative in something I, and many others, believe in.”

An April 2015 Antithesis staff photo. Among those featured in the top row, (l to r):  Ana Miljak, Adriana Perhamus, Petra Zarah Jarrar and (far right) Rafaella Gunz. Bottom row: Joe Giacona and Thomas Blakeley.

An April 2015 Antithesis staff photo. Among those featured in the top row (l to r): Ana Miljak, Adriana Perhamus, Petra Zarah Jarrar and (far right) Rafaella Gunz. Bottom row: Joe Giacona and Thomas Blakeley.

For this edition of the College Media Podcast, Jarrar talks more about the origins and rationale behind her initiative and the realities associated with running a “no-budget newspaper.” She also offers advice to student journalists similarly interested in exploring social justice more frequently and comprehensively on or near their own campus.

Click here or anywhere on the image below to listen in on our chat.