College Media News: Hacking, a Lawsuit Victory, a Book About Veterans & Examples of Student Press Crowdfunding Success

Here’s a rundown of recent college media and journalism education news, a smidgen of student press history, some student journalist perspectives and a few funny headlines and tweets.

To pass along tips, stories, links and tweets for the next college media news rundown, email me ASAP.

New Editorial Adviser at UGA Student Paper. The Red & Black at the University of Georgia has hired a new editorial adviser. Longtime journalist and current UGA instructor Rebecca Burns was picked from more than 50 applicants. A portion of the story announcing her appointment: “Burns’ many years of experience as a reporter and editor — most recently the Deputy Editor of Atlanta Magazine — along with her work as a digital strategist put her at the top of the list, and those things alone do not begin to list her accomplishments. She has written three books and held a number of editor positions as well as Director of Digital Strategy at for Emmis Publishing and Communications.” (The Red & Black, University of Georgia) | A bit more about her via a Q&A last year (Politico)

Free Summer Course on Media & News Literacy. Arizona State University’s Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication is launching a free seven-week MOOC starting in July called Media LIT: Overcoming Information Overload. A snippet from the Cronkite announcement: “The MOOC helps students understand, analyze and create media … and features guest speakers such as Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales, New York Times Public Editor Margaret Sullivan and BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith, among others.”

A recent issue of The Ball State Daily News at Ball State University — David Letterman’s alma mater — commemorating the end of his decades-long late night hosting run.

‘An Issue of Transparency for Us.’ Otterbein University graduate and former Otterbein360 news editor Anna Schiffbauer had a good day this past Thursday. That morning, she learned the Ohio Supreme Court had ruled in her favor on a longstanding lawsuit spurred by her request for access to Otterbein’s police reports. More specifically, during her tenure at Otterbein360, Schiffbauer simply wanted to see some police reports — and let other interested people see them too. Schiffbauer and her supporters felt the school should not be legally allowed to withhold the records because — unlike many private colleges and universities — it boasts a certified police force. As she told The Columbus Dispatch last year, “It’s an issue of transparency for us. They are a public entity associated with a private university. Their records should be public.” Ohio’s highest court now agrees.

1‘100 Questions and Answers About Veterans.’ A journalism class at Michigan State University led by Joe Grimm has created yet another book — this one with a military bent. As the Ionia Sentinel-Standard shares, “‘100 Questions and Answers About Veterans’ is aimed at clearing up myths and misunderstandings held by some civilians. … The book, available in print and digital versions, is the eighth that Grimm’s classes have published. Others have covered Hispanics and Latinos, Native Americans, East Asians and Muslim Americans.” | Order it on Amazon ASAP

‘Who, What, Where, When & Why.’ Journalism professor Yvonne Daley is leaving San Francisco State University after 15 years. As Daley tells the Golden Gate Xpress, SFSU’s student newspaper, about her journalism passion: “I was always trying to find out the secrets, to get the story behind the story. Being the youngest of dozens of cousins, my family history happened before me so I had all that [investigative] training at home. … I came at journalism in a way I hope I teach as well. It’s not just the who, what, where, when and why. It’s ‘how do we get here and where do we go from here?'” (The Golden Gate [X]Press, San Francisco State University)

‘Why I’m Fundraising for My Student Newspaper.’ Amy Wong, the news editor for the Nouse, the student newspaper at Britain’s University of York, has gone public with her attempts to raise money for the pub. In a Huffington Post write-up headlined, “Why I’m Fundraising for My Student Newspaper,” she shares, “It’s tough being a student journalist. People make assumptions about you, it involves hours of unpaid work, and to top it all off, you have a degree to do as well. … On a personal level, being a part of Nouse really helped me find my feet at university. It encouraged me to have more confidence in my decisions and taught me to be more discerning. Since joining as a shy fresher, I’ve definitely become a stronger and more self-assured person. You need to be when you’re pursuing a story that people don’t want published. I also met a lot of my closest friends through the society. Apparently, spending late nights in a stuffy office cursing InDesign’s refusal to cooperate is the perfect way to connect with people.”

Old Dominion Student Paper Website Hacked. Roughly a week ago, The Mace and Crown temporarily became the El Moujahidin. Unknown vandals hacked the website of the Old Dominion University student newspaper, replacing its regular site with a single webpage sporting a black backdrop, a red skull-faced winged creature emblem and messages supporting Palestine and denouncing the killing of Muslims. Upon learning of the site’s takeover, editors worked with the web hosting company GoDaddy to get the protest page removed — forcing them to also temporarily shut down the site.

1

1DePaul Student Paper Hitting a Wall. The DePaulia student newspaper at DePaul University is having trouble gaining access to important sources on campus and getting full answers to important questions when they do. In a new editorial, the paper shared, “It’s difficult if not impossible to get the real information [staffers] need, often it’s just watered-down talking points. … The DePaul brand is a part of our brand, and we don’t want it to falter. But for any institution to function at its highest capacity, people must ask questions. At a university it can come from the students, it can come from faculty and it can come from journalists. If there’s nothing to hide, there’s no reason to hide.” The image accompanying the editorial — created by staffer Max Kleiner — is a brick wall.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/206084559″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

‘Sexist, Racist & Hurtful Comments’ on Yik Yak. Michigan Daily columnist Anna Polumbo-Levy has a problem with Yik Yak. As she writes, “Scrolling through posts, I have seen sexist, racist and hurtful comments. Comments, such as ‘girls are way hotter at the gym,’ — a Yak posted at the University of Michigan — objectify women, placing the focus, yet again, on the value of women in their outward appearances. Students take to Yik Yak to rail on their roommates, annoying people in the UgLi or someone they overhear saying something they think is stupid, perpetuating a culture of passive-aggressiveness and putdowns. Not to mention, many of these students who end up on Yik Yak likely use the app and would be hurt by these comments.” (The Michigan Daily, University of Michigan)

‘College students and the crowd saved 3 newspapers in 6 months’

1