Meet the Summer 2015 CMM Editorial Fellows

The CMM Editorial Fellowship is aimed at ensuring the voices of student media leaders are amplified and regularly heard alongside those of journalism professors and professionals. The summer 2015 class of Fellows is comprised of an elite crew of current and former top editors and reporters at student media across the U.S. and in Canada.
The Fellowship seeks to provide these student journalists and recent graduates with a periodic platform to share a bit about their work and weigh in on major media news, tough ethical calls and the changing press and higher ed landscapes.
The first featured summer Fellows post should appear by week’s end or early next week at latest.

To learn more about the Fellowship or to seek a spot in the current or future class, email me ASAP.

1Nizia Alam is a senior journalism major and biology minor at the University of Texas at Tyler. She served as editor-in-chief of the Patriot Talon. She also previously served the paper as campus editor and as a staff writer. This summer she is working as a social media and public relations intern at the local nonprofit organization Next Step Community Solutions.

1Alex Bitter is a rising senior journalism and political science major at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. He is the outgoing editor-in-chief of Ka Leo O Hawaiʻi. Bitter previously served the paper as city editor and associate news editor. While studying for a semester at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, he also reported for The Minnesota Daily. This summer, he is interning with TheStreet as a Dow Jones News Fund business reporting intern.

1Nicole Brown is a rising senior journalism and politics major at New York University. She served as editor-in-chief of Washington Square News in 2014. Brown has also completed internships at MSNBC and written for The Times of Chester County, an online newspaper based in her hometown in Pennsylvania. She recently returned to the states after studying for a semester in Italy.

1Angela Christaldi is a junior English and communications studies double major and French minor at Saint Joseph’s University in Philadelphia. She is the opinions editor for The Hawk. She also writes Womanifesto, a column about feminist issues, and previously served the paper as a staff writer for the lifestyle and opinions sections. She was previously accepted to the USA TODAY Collegiate Correspondent program and will be attending the Management Seminar for College News Editors (MSCNE) this summer at the University of Georgia.

1Emma Discher is a senior communication and political science major at Tulane University. She is editor-in-chief of The Hullabaloo, where she has also served as a reporter, news editor and training coordinator. Separately, during high school, she contributed as a sports columnist, photographer and reporter to The Mash, the Chicago Tribune’s teen newspaper. Discher also previously interned with The Gambit, an alternative weekly newspaper in New Orleans, and is currently interning with The Advocate daily newspaper in New Orleans.

1Claire Dodson is a fresh English graduate of the University of Tennessee, where she worked as editor-in-chief of The Daily Beacon. Dodson previously served as a reporter, copy editor and arts and culture editor for the paper. She has completed internships at local media and in New York City and has also been published in the Nashville Scene, Long Island Pulse and xoJane. She is currently segueing into a full-time editorial assistant position with the magazine Fast Company in New York City.

1Sami Edge is a senior journalism and international studies double major at the University of Oregon. She is editor-in-chief of The Emerald, an independent student newspaper at UO with about 80 student employees. Edge previously served as the paper’s associate news editor and higher education reporter. This summer, she is interning with the The Seattle Times, following up an internship last summer in Portland, Ore., with Willamette Week.

1Sean Feverston is a senior public relations major and music minor at Otterbein University. He is editor-in-chief of the daily student media outlet Otterbein360.com. The outlet is currently at the center of a high-profile open records lawsuit being considered by the Ohio Supreme Court.

1Gary Grumbach is a senior broadcast journalism major at Elon University. He is the news director of Elon Local News, the the university’s student-run broadcast news organization. Grumbach previously worked as an ELN assignment manager and general assignments reporter, along with serving as executive producer of ELN Radio. He has also completed internships at WFMZ 69 News and within New Jersey Governor Chris Christie’s Office of Communications. This summer, Grumbach is interning with NBC Nightly News.

1Griffin Guinta is a rising senior at the University of Tampa, where he double majors in writing and communication. He is editor-in-chief of The Minaret. He previously served the paper as a sports editor. Guinta has also completed a social media internship with Sarasota Magazine and a beat writing position with PinstripesPlus, a New York Yankees magazine affiliate. This summer, he is first carrying out a teaching internship at Trinity University, subsequently traveling to Dublin, Ireland, to work with a homeless relief agency and chronicle the stories of Dublin’s less fortunate.

1Alicia Keene is a graduate student at Texas Tech University, pursuing a dual master’s in mass communications and business. She earned her bachelor’s degree in journalism in May 2014 from Texas Tech, graduating as the College of Media & Communication’s valedictorian. Keene serves as the graduate executive director of The Hub@TTU, an independent student-run, digital-native publication. She previously served as the outlet’s news director and enterprise editor. Keene also works as a local stringer for Reuters News.

1Danielle Klein is a recent graduate of the University of Toronto. This fall, she will begin pursuing her master’s in the Faculty of Information at U of T, studying Culture and Technology and Knowledge and Information Management. She served as editor-in-chief of The Varsity, Canada’s largest student newspaper. Klein formerly served the paper as a staff writer, an associate arts & culture editor and features editor. She has also contributed to several U of T blogs and coordinated social media for Juxtaposition, a global health magazine on campus.

1Olivia Krauth is a junior at the University of Louisville, where she majors in investigative journalism and minors in basically everything under the sun. She is editor-in-chief of The Louisville Cardinal. Krauth previously served the Cardinal as an assistant editor-in-chief, news editor and staff writer. She also previously interned at LEO Weekly, Louisville’s alternative newsweekly.

1Katie Kutsko is a rising senior journalism major at the University of Kansas. Come fall, she will officially begin her second stint as editor-in-chief of The University Daily Kansan. Kutsko previously served as EIC in spring 2014. Other past Kansan stints include work as a designer, design chief, web editor, art and digital media director and a senior product designer on the advertising side. She has completed internships at The Indianapolis Star and Lawrence Journal-World. This summer, she is serving as a graphics intern at the Chicago Tribune.

1Matt Lemas is a rising junior majoring in journalism and political science at the University of Southern California. This spring, he served as managing editor of The Daily Trojan. Lemas previously served as the paper’s associate managing editor and news editor. In the fall, he will lead the paper’s longform division. This summer, he is completing a reporting internship with the Orange County Register.

1Louis Oprisa is a recent graduate of the City College of New York, where he studied video production, journalism and publishing. He served as news editor, managing editor and editor-in-chief of The Campus magazine at CCNY. He is currently a realtime highlight editor at MLB.com, the official site of Major League Baseball.

1Cassie Sheridan is a recent graduate of the University of Portland. During her time at UP, she served as the Living editor, a columnist and a reporter for for The Beacon student newspaper. She has also written for the Peninsula Clarion and completed other assorted freelance reporting. She is currently freelancing and working on longform pieces about fishing in Alaska.

1Ali Swenson is a rising senior at Loyola Marymount University, where she majors in psychology and minors in journalism and business administration. She is editor-in-chief of the Los Angeles Loyolan, where she is overseeing the completion of a three-year transition to digital-first reporting. She previously served the Loyolan in various positions on the news team, including news editor. She has multiple past work and internship experiences, including at the London-based media nonprofit Exposure. This summer, she is interning with TakePart, the digital news division of Participant Media.

1Kyle Walker is a recent graduate of the University of Tulsa, where he was editor-in-chief of The Collegian student newspaper. He previously served the paper as editor of the opinion and news pages. This summer, Walker is interning with The Bigheart Times, a weekly newspaper in northeastern Oklahoma. He is starting a graduate program at New York University in the fall.