College Media News: Kentucky Kernel Editor Killed, Northern Michigan Lawsuit, ‘Fiscal Strains,’ Print Cutbacks & Oklahoma City Bombing Anniversary

Here’s a rundown of recent college media and journalism education news, a smidgen of student press history, some student journalist perspectives and a few funny headlines and tweets.

To pass along tips, stories, links and tweets for the next college media news rundown, email me ASAP.

“A Campus Remembers.” Kentucky Kernel photo editor Jonathan Krueger was shot and killed in an alleged robbery-homicide near the University of Kentucky campus last week. Two suspects have been arrested and charged. Kernel staffer Annie Dunbar: “Jonathan Krueger never met a stranger. He had an infectious smile, made an impression on everyone he met, was constantly looking for the next adventure and always maintained a positive attitude. Krueger lived for adventures. From showing everyone videos of intense snowboarding stunts that he planned to reenact or attempting to do tricks on his bike in the Kernel office, Krueger was the definition of ‘YOLO.'” (The Kentucky Kernel, University of Kentucky)

“Our Fiscal Strains.” The Daily Evergreen at Washington State University is in serious financial trouble. Editor-in-chief Michelle Frederickson recently gave readers a heads-up on what’s happening, including the school’s efforts to at least temporarily help the DE stave off  “the dire reality of ceasing to be a daily paper in the near future.” (The Daily Evergreen, Washington State University)

1

“Subpar Self-Management.” The Collegiate Times at Virginia Tech has lost two editors-in-chief in recent weeks — one was terminated, the other resigned. In a resignation letter of sorts, now-former co-editor-in-chief and managing editor Kevin Dickel tells readers everything he knows about the recent controversy. He also fires a shot at the CT supervisory boards’ “subpar self-management and disregard for transparency and professionalism.” (The Collegiate Times, Virginia Tech)

Online Indy Bulldog. According to The Press Enterprise, “As students prep for graduation from the University of Redlands this week, The Bulldog Weekly newsstands will be empty. The student newspaper has not published for several months, while ideas of reinvention are considered. It is due to return in the fall under a new name and staff. Meanwhile, the former editors of the Weekly, unhappy with the university’s role in the newspaper, have launched an independent, online publication that also covers the school.”

“All About Principles & Rights.” North Wind faculty adviser Cheryl Reed and managing editor Michael Williams have filed a lawsuit against Northern Michigan University to fight the former’s sudden termination and the latter’s rejection from the paper’s top editor job. As I’ve previously posted, the tensions between the paper and school have escalated dramatically in recent months. Williams: “This case is not about money. We aren’t seeking any [financial] compensation. This is all about principles and rights that have been violated throughout the course of this academic year.” (The North Wind, Northern Michigan University)

1

1“Student Papers Are Not Immune.” The Montana Kaimin at the University of Montana suddenly stopped putting out a daily print edition earlier this month. After not publishing a regular weekday issue without warning and then returning the next day chock full of ads, editor-in-chief Ric Sanchez explained, “By now, you’ve probably noticed two things: First, we didn’t print yesterday. Second, there’s a hell of a lot of advertisements in your paper today. Both of these things are manifestations of a larger issue plaguing every single newsroom in the country. The way the world is presenting and selling journalism is changing, and student papers are not immune.” (The Montana Kaimin, University of Montana)

1“Imagine What We Could Do With That Time.” The Diamondback at the University of Maryland is going weekly in print. Editor-in-chief Laura Blasey: “It became clear that producing a printed newspaper daily no longer made sense. Most of our top editors spend 40 to 50 hours a week in the newsroom working on the print paper — imagine what we could do with that time. We’d rather be experimenting with new technology, creating interactive elements and focusing on our online content.” (The Diamondback, University of Maryland)

“What Color is Terror?” In a Daily Athenaeum op-ed, West Virginia University student Mouhammed Sakkal writes, “It seems like the mainstream media’s reasoning on how to label criminals tends to follow the following logic. If you are an African American criminal, you must be a thug or a gangster, and if you are a Muslim or Middle-Eastern criminal, you must be a terrorist. But if you are a white criminal, you are just an ordinary criminal who probably had mental health issues (or was angry about parking). Of course, not all media outlets are guilty of doing this, but enough are to make this a serious issue.” (The Daily Athenaeum, West Virginia University)

The Teacola at Jacksonville State University turns 80

Daily Tar Heel sports editor at UNC says goodbye

Current TV founder writes letter “Dear Dean of the Journalism School”

Funny Headline, via The Daily Wildcat at University of Arizona

1

Funny Headline, via The Spectrum at North Dakota State University

1

Funny Headline, via The Daily Californian at UC Berkeley

1