College Media News: Radio Dreams, Life at Medill & ‘The Day the Newsman Died’

Here’s a rundown of recent college media and journalism education news, a smidgen of student press history, some student journalist perspectives and a few funny headlines and tweets.

To pass along tips, stories, links and tweets for the next college media news rundown, email me ASAP.

1“Welcome to Medill.” 
As Northwestern University j-student Elizabeth Santoro writes, “Medildos, Medillionaires, anal, insane, brave, whatever you want to call us — from the outside, Medill life seems like a crazy mass of students asking for a quote. Yes, while an interview is most likely what we seek, journalism majors’ unique curriculum makes ‘college’ different from the traditional sense of the word.Medill makes you cold-call strangers, take the El to class and use outside class time to meet with an interviewee where you may have to ask some uncomfortable questions. While trying to report on homelessness in Evanston, I faced many painfully blank stares of people not wanting a thing to do with me. Welcome to Medill.” (North by Northwestern, Northwestern University)

The Aggie at UC Davis Still Not Back in Print. “Students at UC Davis aren’t likely to see a printed campus newspaper anytime soon. The California Aggie, which went out of print last year after running out of money, tried last month to find a publisher to print its copies in exchange for a share of revenue. But the student paper received no offers by the Jan. 26 deadline, despite an extension of the bidding process by a month.” (The Sacramento Bee)

“Don’t Judge Brian Williams Just Yet.” According to Collegian staff writer Megan Caldwell at Penn State University, “I am not going to judge Williams for his actions. And I don’t believe you should either. First, we do not know all the facts. We don’t know what kind of circumstances Williams was under. And we certainly do not know if he could have just forgotten the facts of a story that occurred 12 years ago. We are all humans and we all make mistakes.” (The Collegian, Penn State University)

I admit, I disagree.

↓     ↓     

“Radio Dreams After Hockey.” Rachel Ramsey is a defenseman on the University of Minnesota’s women’s hockey team. She is also an aspiring sports radio personality who is already balancing schoolwork and skating with studio time. As Ramsey tells The Minnesota Daily, “When I first got on [the radio], I was not someone who could keep a show going. [A mentor] has kind of showed me the insides of the trade. It’s more than, ‘Hey, I watched the game last night and here is what happened.’ It’s a lot of preparation.” (The Minnesota Daily, University of Minnesota)

1

1“The Day the Newsman Died.” In a poignant tribute for the student news outlet Substance Magazine, Albert Serna Jr. at Mt. San Antonio College discusses New York Times legend David Carr’s larger legacy and personal connection. In his words, “I have said a few times that Mr. Carr is my idol, but he was more than that. He was inspiration and motivation. I had so much to ask him and I wanted to give him a run for his money as I grew in the world of journalism. … The fire that burned inside of Mr. Carr to not only report but to mentor young reporters has been lit inside of me. I am nowhere near his level, but I can work even harder to to do good journalism. Even in death I will still seek his guidance as will many other college students who knew him, or knew of him. Even those who did not will be touched by him in some way.” (Substance Magazine, Mt. San Antonio College)

Student Press History Alert, via The Rice Thresher at Rice University

What is my favorite student press story of all time?

1“Creightonian Behind the Times.” Late last month, editors of The Creightonian at Creighton University confirmed, “The fact of the matter is that The Creightonian is behind the times. The Internet has taken over daily life in an extraordinary way. From social interaction to daily planning, little escapes the web’s influence. Journalism is no exception. … On the one hand, staging a mass culture shift to an exclusively online platform would a) be very difficult and b) rob our writers of the camaraderie found in putting a paper together as a team. On the other hand, we cannot cling to old forms simply for the sake of nostalgia.” (The Creightonian, Creighton University)

Five Funny Tweets

Funny Video: “Lone Lunchers,” The Columbia Daily Spectator, Columbia University. “Spectrum visits John Jay [Hall] to chat with the bravest of the brave: students who eat alone.”

Funny Video: “19 Things Butler Students DON’T Say,” The Butler Collegian, Butler University

Funny or Questionable Wordplay? Here’s the lede of the story in the screenshot below: “A 17-year-old boy may have felt a little prick when surgeons completed the world’s first penis reduction surgery.” (The USF Oracle, University of South Florida)

1