Meet the Spring 2015 CMM Editorial Fellows

The CMM Editorial Fellowship is aimed at ensuring the voices of student media leaders are amplified and regularly heard alongside those of journalism professors and professionals. The spring 2015 class of Fellows is comprised of an elite crew of top editors and reporters at student media across the U.S. and in Europe.
The Fellowship seeks to provide these student journalists extraordinaire with a periodic platform of sorts to share a bit about their work and weigh in on major media news, tough ethical calls and the changing press and higher ed landscapes.

To learn more about the Fellowship or to seek a spot in the current or future class, email me ASAP.

1Alex Bitter is a junior journalism and political science major at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. He is editor-in-chief of Ka Leo O Hawaiʻi. Bitter previously served the paper as city editor and associate news editor. While studying for a semester at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, he also reported for The Minnesota Daily. This summer, he will intern at TheStreet as a Dow Jones News Fund business reporting intern.

1Riley Brands is a senior linguistics major at the University of Texas. He is editor-in-chief of The Daily Texan. Brands previously served the paper as an associate editor, a features writer, copy desk chief and wire editor. He has also worked for The Washington Post and the international development news outlet Devex.

1Nicole Brown is a junior journalism and politics major at New York University. She served as editor-in-chief of Washington Square News in 2014. Brown has also completed internships at MSNBC and written for The Times of Chester County, an online newspaper based in her hometown in Pennsylvania.

1Erica Corder is a sophomore political science and English major at Virginia Tech. She is the former editor-in-chief of The Collegiate Times. She also previously served the paper as news editor and as a staff writer, photographer and distribution agent. Separately, while studying in London, Corder completed an internship in the UK Parliament and currently works part-time as a political science researcher for Charles L. Taylor.

1Natalie Daher is a senior English writing and communication major at the University of Pittsburgh. She is editor-in-chief of The Pitt News. She is also currently completing an internship with Pittsburgh Magazine. This summer, Daher will join the features desk as an intern with the Minneapolis Star Tribune. She previously carried out internships at NBCNews.com in New York and Patch.com near her hometown of Philadelphia.

1Cormac Duffy holds a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University College Dublin (UCD) in Ireland, where he is on a sabbatical year prior to commencing his postgraduate studies. He is top editor of the University Observer. He previously served the paper as a contributing writer and music editor. He has also contributed to separate outlets including the music magazine State.ie and the politics blog Newstalk.

1Sami Edge is a junior journalism and international studies double major at the University of Oregon. She is editor-in-chief of The Emerald, an independent student newspaper at UO with about 80 student employees. Edge previously served as the paper’s associate news editor and higher education reporter. This summer, she will intern with the The Seattle Times, following up an internship this past summer in Portland, Ore., with Willamette Week.

1Michelle Fredrickson is a junior science communication major at Washington State University. She is editor-in-chief of The Daily Evergreen. Fredrickson previously served the paper as managing editor, news editor, a crime reporter and a research reporter. Passionate about the outdoors, she has also completed internships at SKI Magazine and Skiing Magazine.

1Courtney Jacquin is a graduate student studying journalism in DePaul University’s five-year BA/MA program. She is the editor-in-chief of The DePaulia. She previously served as the paper’s managing editor and arts and life editor. She is also currently completing a media relations internship with the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago, building on past internships with outlets including Chicago Tribune’s RedEye and Time Out New York magazine.

1Stephen Koenigsfeld is a senior journalism and mass communications major at Iowa State University. He is editor-in-chief of the Iowa State Daily. As EIC, Koenigsfeld handles day-to-day operations dealing with the business side of the organization, as well as attending regular meetings with ISU administrators and campus leaders. He previously served the paper as a sports reporter and as managing editor of digital content. He has also completed an internship with the Cedar Rapids Gazette in eastern Iowa.

1Steffi S. Lee is a multimedia journalism major and political science minor at Simpson College. She is editor-in-chief of The Simpsonian. Lee also currently works as a reporter, editor and photographer for KCCI 8 News, the top broadcast news station in the Des Moines market. It is one of three news stations at which she has interned or served on staff.

1Emma LeGault is a junior journalism major at the University of Kansas. She is the special projects editor at The University Daily Kansan. LeGault previously served the paper as a senior reporter, special sections editor, news editor and editor-in-chief. This summer, she will be a Dow Jones News Fund copy editing intern at The New York Times.

1Jordyn Reiland is a senior journalism and sociology major at the University of Iowa. She is editor-in-chief of The Daily Iowan, the independent student newspaper at UI. Reiland previously served the paper as managing editor, projects editor, sports editor, metro editor and a metro reporter. She has also completed an internship as a copy editor with China Daily, an English-language newspaper based in Beijing, China.

1Ric Sanchez is a senior journalism major at the University of Montana. He is editor-in-chief of the Montana Kaimin, UM’s independent daily newspaper. Sanchez has also served as editor of UM’s Native News project and as associate editor for Montana Journalism Review. He has completed internships at Seattle Met Magazine and the Orange County Register and will intern this summer with The Washington Post.

1Joey Stipek is a senior journalism major at the University of Oklahoma. He is the assignment editor and webmaster for the OU Nightly student newscast. Stipek previously served as a reporter, online editor and special projects editor for The Oklahoma Daily. He has also completed internships at a number of outlets including the Colorado Springs Gazette, The Oklahoman and Oklahoma Watch.

1Liz Young is a senior journalism and economics major at Ohio State University. She is editor-in-chief of The Lantern. Young previously served the paper as campus editor, assistant sports editor and a reporter and copy editor. She has also completed internships with The Columbus Dispatch and Patch websites.

One Response to “Meet the Spring 2015 CMM Editorial Fellows”
  1. […] College Media Matters: “The CMM Editorial Fellowship is aimed at ensuring the voices of student media leaders are […]