Editor-in-Chief of The Crimson White Student Newspaper at University of Alabama Resigns

Deanne Winslett, editor-in-chief of The Crimson White student newspaper at the University of Alabama, resigned suddenly last week.

According to the paper, health issues involving her family was the main impetus behind Winslett’s decision. As she told CW staffer Katie Shepherd, “I think that my attention is just split too much, and so I think it just made sense to resign at this point in time.”

1

A past CW report confirms Winslett has been with the paper since her freshman year in 2011 — climbing the ladder from culture section contributing writer to culture staff reporter to assistant culture editor before landing the EIC gig. Among other achievements, Winslett oversaw the print edition’s successful shift this past semester from broadsheet to tabloid-sized.

In a letter of resignation sent to UA’s Media Planning Board, Winslett wrote glowingly about the pub, her colleagues and her time as top editor: “Being their editor has been the highlight of my collegiate career. I can’t offer any words powerful enough to accurately describe just what it has meant to me. … I will continue to support our organization after my resignation, and I look forward to seeing what amazing things The Crimson White students will accomplish in the spring semester.”

In a comment on CW’s Facebook page beneath a post confirming the resignation, UA associate provost Jennifer Greer writes, “Deanne Winslett should be so proud of what she’s accomplished. The CW thrived under her leadership. We will be thinking of you and your family.”

In her letter, Winslett also recommended who her replacement should be. The Media Planning Board agreed with her selection.

The spring 2015 CW editor-in-chief: Andy McWhorter, a UA senior and former CW production editor.

As McWhorter shared with Shepherd, “We’ve had a very successful [fall] semester, and while we are sad to see this kind of change in our staff in the middle of the year, I think we are in a great position to capitalize on the success we’ve already had and really close up the year really strong and really find ways to serve our students and to be the best student news organization we possibly can.”

Crimson White Columnist at Alabama: Student Paper ‘Must Broaden Its News Reporting’

Crimson White Issues Open (Records) Challenge to Alabama Officials

ACP Story of the Year Spotlight Series: Daniel Roth, The Crimson White, University of Alabama