Podcast: Major Shift for Some Student Press Websites & a Retooled RebelMouse

Welcome to the latest installment of the College Media Podcast. The CMP is a collaborative venture with Bryan Murley from the Center for Innovation in College Media.

The podcast’s aim: spotlighting big college media news, standout student press work and an array of helpful and innovative tips, sites, programs and tech tools.

1In our most recent episode, we hash out the short-term and potential long-term implications of College Publisher’s ownership change. CP is a major content management system (CMS) within collegemediatopia.

The DePaulia student newspaper at DePaul University has its website hosted on the College Publisher platform. In a new report, the paper describes it as “a once-flourishing media network owned by MTV that hosted the best college newspapers. Over the years College Publisher declined, leaving many newspapers with antiquated CMS systems, and even more making the switch to an industry standard like WordPress. … Without any notice to its customers [earlier this month], College Publisher sold its company off to ULoop, a classifieds website based in Chicago. We no longer have any control over the look, design or effectively anything on our site.”

Separately, at the close of our chat, Bryan provides a rundown of RebelMouse, the recently-reinvented digital publishing platform that enables users to “create sites, apps and campaigns that build an engaged community and maximizes content across the social web.”

Click here or on the icon below to hear our spirited chat.

Podcast

College Media Podcast: Mourning vs. Reporting & Muck Rack’s New Link-Tracking Tool

College Media Podcast: Dying Student Paper’s Last-Ditch Publishing Plan Raises Questions

College Media Podcast: The Columbia ‘Rapists on Campus’ Journalism Ethics Debate