College Media Podcast: Mourning vs. Reporting & Muck Rack’s New Link-Tracking Tool

Welcome to the latest installment of the College Media Podcast. The CMP is a collaborative venture with Bryan Murley from the Center for Innovation in College Media.

The podcast’s aim: spotlighting big college media news, standout student press work and an array of helpful and innovative tips, sites, programs and tech tools.

1In our most recent episode, we discuss the ins-and-outs and implications of the strange saga surrounding The Bottom Line student newspaper at UC Santa Barbara. In the wake of last month’s deadly shooting in Isla Vista, Calif. — which sported direct ties to the university — the paper declared in an editorial that its staffers must mourn prior to reporting to lessen the trauma of dealing with such a devastating event.

The journalism community has collectively denounced the mourn-first-report-later philosophy advocated by the editorial — and the paper’s own editors have also distanced themselves from it.

Bryan and I discuss that response and some related bigger picture issues, including the Bottom Line’s existence as a pseudo-news outlet and the question of content management control. Specifically, in respect to the latter, who should be able to publish something on a student media website without editor knowledge or approval?

At the close of our chat, Bryan breaks down an interesting new tool from Muck Rack called Who Shared My Link.” It’s a social media and newsy search engine of sorts enabling you to “enter a URL and find out how out many times it was shared and which journalists and bloggers shared it.”

Click here or on the icon below to hear our spirited chat.

Podcast