College Media Podcast: The Columbia ‘Rapists on Campus’ Journalism Ethics Debate

Welcome to the latest installment of the College Media Podcast. The CMP is a collaborative venture with Bryan Murley from the Center for Innovation in College Media.

The podcast’s aim: spotlighting big college media news, standout student press work and an array of helpful and innovative tips, sites, programs and tech tools.

1In our most recent episode, we discuss the astoundingly complex journalism ethics kerfuffle at Columbia University surrounding a student news site’s decision to fire a staff writer after his name appeared on an anonymous “Rapists on Campus” list distributed and graffitied across campus.

As I previously posted, among the many tough questions in play: 1) Is it ethical to effectively fire a staffer over a single anonymous tip of this type? 2) What about the implications of punishing someone over nothing more than allegations? 3) How, and how fast, should the news site have publicly confirmed this conflict with its staff writer?

At the close of our chat, Bryan breaks down the reverse image search engine TinEye. According to its About page, “It finds out where an image came from, how it is being used, if modified versions of the image exist or if there is a higher resolution version.”

Click here or on the icon below to hear our spirited chat.

Podcast

Columbia Student News Site Fires Staff Writer After He Appears on ‘Rapists on Campus’ List