Florida Journalism Professor Startled a Former Student Took His Last Name as Her Porn Name

Journalism professor Clay Calvert’s mass media law course at the University of Florida is so inspiring … it indirectly led a young woman to enter the porn industry and use Calvert as part of her stage name as a show of thanks. Wait, what? Keep reading.

To be clear upfront, Calvert is a rock God in geeky journalism circles — a J.D. and Ph.D. with the phrase “eminent scholar” in his job title and control of not just UF classrooms but also the Marion B. Brechner First Amendment Project. During the 2009-2010 school year, a female student from Gainesville, Florida, had a blast in his mass media law class, where she learned for the first time (hopefully among many other things) that pornography is legally “legitimate and thriving.”

1

1

According to a report last week in The Independent Florida Alligator, upon graduation, the student moved to California and made “a gentle transition into hardcore pornography.” Note: That description alone makes the story — currently the most popular on the Alligator site — an immediate contender for the college media hall of fame.

Other phrases appearing soon after that rival it: “she did everything under the sun in pornography”; “One year and more than 100 men later…”; and “Her most memorable request to don scuba gear in the bedroom was trumped this year by a fan who wanted her to sexualize the movie ‘Gremlins 2: The New Batch.'” Note: I will never watch “Gremlins” the same way again.

But ultimately it isn’t who or what she is doing that grabbed the news hook in the much-shared Alligator piece. Instead, the lede is devoted to the pornographic nom de plume she has assumed: Casey Calvert, the last name a public show of gratitude to her former mass media law professor.

1

For the record, here are the perspectives of both Calverts on the name thing.

Casey, porn star: “It felt right because really if I hadn’t taken his class, I wouldn’t be where I am right now. I’m happier than I’ve ever been.”

Clay, eminent scholar: “I was startled to learn and discover an adult video star had taken my last name for her porn name.”

By the way, professor Calvert learned “Casey was out there using his name in hardcore, softcore and every porn scene in between [when] he received an email from a student who had spotted Casey during his online activities.” Note: I would donate a ton of bandwidth to read that student’s email message. How do you tell your prof you stumbled across something he might be interested in — while surfing for porn?

For those keeping score, this is the second buzzworthy porn star story this semester involving student media. In February, The Duke Chronicle was the first news outlet to report on a current Duke University freshman who doubles as a pornographic actress. The national media quickly picked up on the story.

The Duke student’s porn name, by the way, is Belle Knox. The first name is taken from the classic “Beauty and the Beast” character and the last name is inspired by Amanda Knox — the young American woman accused and acquitted in the killing of her roommate in Italy. Note: Yup, I’d say that’s a bit weirder than taking your former professor’s name.

Duke student’s work as porn star stirs ‘unhealthy obsession’