O’Colly at Oklahoma State Changes Name, Size & Publication Schedule

The O’Colly, the impossibly awesome student newspaper at Oklahoma State University, is undergoing a massive reinvention that will leave it with a new name, new printing schedule and new print issue size.

Moving forward, the paper will be known as the O’Colly — its  longtime nickname (and web address) — instead of its current moniker The Daily O’Collegian. The loss of Daily in the name mirrors the dropping of daily in the printing schedule description. Staff will now put out a print edition three times each week instead of five. And the new every-other-day issues will be tabloid-sized instead of broadsheet.

1

In a formal announcement about the transformation, editor-in-chief Kyle Hinchey shares, “By making this change, we are transitioning from a five-day-a-week newspaper to a 24/7 media company. In this digital age, it is imperative we direct more of our attention to our digital audience, and that’s what this step forward will allow us to do.”

Here’s the full announcement from the paper’s general manager Ray Catalino:

O’Colly announces changes to improve student journalism experience, advertising, readership

Stillwater, OK — Changes announced by Oklahoma State University’s student newspaper will produce more digital-savvy student journalists and allow greater flexibility in advertising, while meeting their audiences where they consume news.

On Wednesday, the Oklahoma State University Student Media Board voted unanimously to accept a proposal to change The Daily O’Collegian’s print publication from five to three days a week – Monday, Wednesday and Friday –  effective fall 2014.

The board also approved measures to change the publication’s name to the O’Colly and to move from a broadsheet to tabloid format.

“This change enables us to produce and distribute news about campus in a more timely manner while continuing to reach our long-time traditional readers in a manner they prefer,” said general manager Ray Catalino.

O’Colly editors  and professional staffers said they support the change.

“By making this change, we are transitioning from a five-day-a-week newspaper to a 24/7 media company,” said Kyle Hinchey, the current O’Colly editor in chief. “In this digital age, it is imperative we direct more of our attention to our digital audience, and that’s what this step forward will allow us to do.”

Fall 2014 editor in chief Murphy Mitchell, who was appointed to the position in Wednesday’s meeting, said he feels good about leading his college newspaper into the future.

“I have the utmost confidence in moving forward with my staff in this new and exciting direction,” Mitchell said.

The change will also mean a greater focus on transitioning the O’Colly from a traditional newspaper to a media company that offers 24/7 news and increased advertising options.

O’Colly adviser Barbara Allen said that these changes will better prepare student journalists for a changing media landscape.

“Working for the O’Colly, you learn two things: how to become a great journalist, and how to work hard,” she said. “The hallmark of O’Colly graduates working today is a work ethic that’s unrivaled. That won’t change.”

Allen said O’Colly students will be triple threats in writing, digital and social media.

The OSU Student Media Board consists of faculty, staff and students, including appointees from the School of Media and Strategic Communications (previously the School of Journalism and Broadcasting), the OSU president’s office, the Student Government Association, Faculty Council, the Staff Advisory Council and the Oklahoma Press Association.