Richmond Collegian Goes Online-Only; Third Student Paper in a Month to Drop Print

After publishing one more issue this Thursday, The Collegian at the University of Richmond is going online-only. The digital shift will apparently save the 100-year-old weekly student newspaper roughly $15,000 annually in printing costs.

According to Style Weekly in Richmond, Va., the paper’s editor-in-chief is also confident the full-on online move “will help students hone journalism skills needed in a largely post-print job market.” So over Spring Break, the Collegian is rebranding — an effort that will include finalizing and rolling out an enhanced website.

EIC Clay Helms: “We’ve come up with things that we think are going to make this transition very smooth and very powerful. We’re going to re-establish our name on campus.”

1

Folks, we’ve established a trend. The Collegian is the third student pub in about a month to drop print entirely in favor of an all-online-all-the-time experience for student staffers and readers.

As I previously posted, The College Reporter at Pennsylvania’s Franklin & Marshall College recently announced its only print edition going forward will be emailed and uploaded online as a PDF — the culmination of a three-year “100-percent digital transition” plan. Prior to that, The Famuan student newspaper at Florida A&M University similarly dropped its weekly print edition “in favor of a continuously updated website.”

The Famuan, College Reporter and Collegian join an ever-increasing herd of student pubs abandoning print in some form — including outlets cutting the number of print editions they regularly publish and reducing page counts and page sizes.

My heat is out and it’s freezing in Philadelphia, so I’m literally shivering as I type this. Here’s a tweet capturing the current cold mentality that made me laugh. Happy Tuesday.

Franklin & Marshall Student Newspaper Now Online-Only; 2nd Paper to Drop Print in 2014

Florida A&M Student Paper Drops Print Edition, Goes Online-Only