Starting Next Fall, Daily Nebraskan Will Shift to Twice-Weekly Nebraskan in Print

Starting next fall, The Daily Nebraskan will no longer appear daily in print. The student newspaper at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is shifting to a twice-weekly publication schedule, part of a larger “concrete financial plan” the paper is still in the process of forming to help ensure its long-term survival.

As the DN itself reports on the daily print downgrade:

“The idea emerged from the Future of the Daily Nebraskan Committee, who created a plan for distributing news to students effectively while boosting readership. The board gave unanimous approval to the plan to shift the Daily Nebraskan’s focus to printed issues twice a week — Mondays and Thursdays — and round-the-clock web updates. … ‘We want to show that the DN is headed in a completely different direction,’ said board member Dan Collin. … Collin said it’s important for the DN to spend more time on quality online content and to consider print material as more of an afterthought.”

1

Four related ideas the future committee is also apparently batting around: transforming the print edition from tabloid to broadsheet; having staffers man the online desk during weekends and school holidays; focusing more attention on existing non-print-ad revenue boosters “such as events, contests, donations and grants”; and publishing the paper’s satirical edition weekly instead of biweekly.

The latter consideration is especially intriguing: Publishing less real news in print, while simultaneously publishing more fake, funny news. Is satire that big of a hit with readers and advertisers?

Separately, current DN editors say the trickiest part of the proposed shift is the changes it will spur in the news production schedule — specifically the “ability to staff a newsroom for continual web updates while also going to class.”

50 Best Student Press Websites: 2013 Edition

Drone Journalism Lab Still a Go at UNL, Even with New FAA Restriction

Daily Nebraskan’s Biggest Story This Semester: A Bed Bug Outbreak!

Student Editors: Before Finals, Post Staff Selfies (with a Chicken?)