University of Akron Student Newspaper Shuts Down, For Now

After 125 years of publishing, The Buchtelite is taking a break. In a note to readers, the adviser for the student newspaper at the University of Akron announced the pub is suspending operations — in part so interested parties can “craft a plan that will assure The Buchtelite’s future as a sustainable, student-run, multimedia enterprise.”

1

As Roger Mezger explains in the note, featured on the homepage under the header “Important Announcement“:

“Like its counterparts in the professional print media, The Buchtelite is facing the challenge of how to remain relevant in a digital age. The need to face up to that challenge, along with some unforeseen circumstances, make this an opportune time to pause and think about how best to position The Buchtelite as a contemporary news outlet serving the needs of a college campus. Several of the students who made up the core fall semester staff were unable to continue in their jobs during spring semester due to internships, heavy class loads or personal issues. Another student graduated. Replacements were not readily available.”

Mezger did confirm that while the twice-weekly print edition will not appear for now, some content might pop up on the paper’s website.

Longer term, if revived, what will Buchtelite 2.0 look like? In Mezger’s words, “It could include a revamped print product, a more robust website, audio and video components, better integration with social media. There are many possibilities.”

One Response to “University of Akron Student Newspaper Shuts Down, For Now”
  1. […] The College Media Association examines why the student-run newspaper at the University of Akron clos…. […]