College Media Podcast: The Secret (Seemingly Desperate) Daily Texan Shuffle

Welcome to the latest installment of the College Media Podcast. The CMP is a collaborative venture with Bryan Murley from the Center for Innovation in College Media.

The podcast’s aim: spotlighting big college media news, standout student press work and an array of helpful and innovative tips, sites, programs and tech tools.

1In our most recent episode, we debate the implications of the recent shuffle impacting The Daily Texan at the University of Texas at Austin.

As I previously posted, UT’s Moody College of Communication has been named the new home of Texas Student Media (TSM), the organization overseeing a number of student publications and broadcast outlets including The Daily Texan.

The shift for TSM and the Texan is sudden, presents lots of questions and appears to have happened cloak-and-dagger. The TSM board and Texan staff, alumni and supporters were not informed about it or sought out for input. It has prompted mixed reactions from members of those constituencies.

Our opinion is less mixed: Bryan and I mostly agree the whole shebang reeks of desperation and on spec does not seem to offer a way for the paper to emerge from its current financial sinkhole.

At the close of our chat, segueing from the Texan craziness, Bryan shares a bit about some digital tools designed to help you create kick-butt graphs and charts.

Click here or on the icon below to listen in on our spirited chat.

Podcast

Texas President Cuts Secret Deal, Shifts Daily Texan Under Communication College Control

College Media Podcast: Ranking Journalism Schools & Simulating Photography

College Media Podcast: Publishing Racial Slurs & ‘the Possible Future of Video’