College Media Podcast: Publishing Racial Slurs & ‘the Possible Future of Video’

Welcome to the latest installment of the College Media Podcast. The CMP is a collaborative venture with Bryan Murley from the Center for Innovation in College Media.

The podcast’s aim: spotlighting big college media news, standout student press work and an array of helpful and innovative tips, sites, programs and tech tools.

1In our most recent episode, we discussed the ethical entanglements involved in publishing decisions surrounding racial slurs and other more graphic terms.

As I previously posted, late last month the Daily Kent Stater at Kent State University reported on a campus theater adaptation of the show “No Niggers, No Jews, No Dogs.” The DKS team decided to run the title’s second word in full — without dashes, asterisks or descriptive end-runs such as “n-word.” It was an ethical call made after “a back-and-forth discussion that spanned the weeks prior to publication.”

Bryan and I similarly go back-and-forth on whether it was the right call. We also reflect on the DKS editor’s statement that “[i]t would be a slippery slope to draw a line and designate any word — no matter how offensive — as ‘too offensive.’”

In addition, we touch on Touchcast, a tool providing “powerful new features to video producers.” Bryan calls it “the possible future of video.

Click here or on the icon below to listen in on our spirited chat.

Podcast

Ethics Alert: Should the Student Press Publish the N-Word in Full & Uncensored?

College Media Podcast: The Incredibly Odd Student Newspaper Lawsuit Saga

Podcast: Grambling State Ridiculousness & the Role of the College Media Adviser

Podcast: 12 Must-Buy Books for Your Student Press Newsroom Collection