5 Tips for Building a Successful Twitter Strategy

Kenna Griffin sports an increasingly popular, evermore prolific presence on Twitter. The Oklahoma City University mass communications professor and student publications director is also a self-described “newspaper nerd saving the world one idiot at a time.”

1Nerdy or not, Griffin (left) is approaching 10,000 Twitter followers.

She tweets a range of tips covering media careers, writing, editing, leadership and work-life balance. She also offers 140-character teasers for internship opportunities, links to tech-themed commentaries and advice and snippets of real-time tweet conversations sporting hashtags such as #blogchat.

The Twitter account is an extension of Griffin’s website Prof KRG, which “aims to create an ongoing educational dialogue among media professionals, students and educators.”

In a brief Q&A aspiring to similarly extend that dialogue, Griffin graciously offered some social media insights from her perspective as a burgeoning Twitterati. Here are excerpts from the interview adding up to 10 tips tied to creating and maintaining a successful Twitter strategy.

Seek Out Twitter Chats: “The best advice I can give people wanting to get started on Twitter is to decide your area of interest and seek out people in that niche. A great way to do this is through Twitter chats. Twitter chats are regular (usually weekly) ‘meetings’ of people on Twitter who have a common interest. I really started using Twitter a lot when I started attending a weekly chat on blogging, #blogchat. I met so many great people there and still learn and share a lot there. Those people led me to other chats and introduced me to more people with our same interests — in this case, writing, blogging specifically.”

Secret to a Standout Tweet: “People want to read things they can relate to and that can help them. I always think about my students when I’m sending tweets. Would they want to know this? Could this help them? Do they need to know this? Would they find this interesting? I really ask myself the same types of questions that I asked as a full-time journalist in attempting to determine news value.”

How to Be Omnipresent on Twitter: “There are a couple of tools that allow me to ‘always be present’ on Twitter without actually always being present on Twitter. First, I am a member of multiple tribes on Triberr. Triberr is a by-invitation blog-sharing platform that allows you to share and be shared by members of your tribe. I share posts from the Tribes I’m part of, including those about writing, business and social media.”

Types of Tweets to AVOID: “Avoid tweets that are unprofessional, like those including profanities, racism, stereotyping or referencing unprofessional activities. Avoid arguing via Twitter, even if you are totally certain you are correct. It just gives a negative impression. Journalists should be careful of tweeting anything that might suggest bias, even if it’s unrelated to a story.”

3Twitter Profile 101: “Fill out your profile completely, using a link to any professional sites or blogs you may have, including an online resume site or LinkedIn profile. Post a professional-looking photo. Use keywords that help identify you and the reason you’re on Twitter, such as your professional interests, area of study, etc. Sell yourself and your unique skills as concisely and creatively as possible.”

To check out the full interview, click here or on the screenshot below.

1

Twitter Interview Requests: Top 10 Rules to Follow

10 Essential Twitter Tips for Student Journalists