College Media Podcast: ‘18 Vaginas’ Cover Controversy & Journalism of Ideas Book

Welcome to the latest installment of the College Media Podcast. The CMP is a collaborative venture with Bryan Murley from the Center for Innovation in College Media.

The podcast’s aim: spotlighting big college media news, standout student press work and an array of helpful and innovative advice, sites, programs and tech tools.

1

In our current episode, we discuss the recent press and social media maelstrom surrounding an Australian student magazine staff’s decision to display very candid cover shots of female genitalia.

As I previously posted, the images prompted administrators at the university where the magazine is published to remove all issues from newsstands– stemming from a still debatable concern that “the cover was against the law.”

At the end of the podcast, I also outline the awesomeness of my new book, Journalism of Ideas: Brainstorming, Developing, and Selling Stories in the Digital Age. Humble hype: It’s a great resource for your newsroom or to add to your own personal collection. College Media Association president David Swartzlander calls it “the next new mandatory text for college journalists.”

Listen in below.

Podcast