Sex is Back in Penn State Student Newspaper: Meet Dick & Jane

The Daily Collegian is once again spotlighting sex. Almost two years after its first attempt at sex-centered content fizzled, the student newspaper at Penn State University is featuring a new he said-she said column tag-team focused on all-things sexual and hedonistic.

The name for both columns: “Let’s Talk About Sex.” They will run in tandem each Thursday in the paper’s entertainment magazine.

Collegian’s editor-in-chief extraordinaire Brittany Horn confirmed the big news in a blog post this morning: “Yes, we’re bringing back the sex column, but this time bringing you more than just what’s on the female’s mind. We want to hear from the men, too. On a campus like Penn State, we’re lying if we say sex isn’t highly discussed. From the loud Saturday night conversations on the Blue Loop about who’s going home with who, to the whispered conversations in class Monday morning about what actually transpired, the once taboo subject is no longer a topic left for just the bedroom.”

1

The student pair tackling the bedroom taboos will be writing under the pen names Dick and Jane. Their first treatises deal with a myriad of matters impacting students’ virginity– and their losing of it– including sheltered sex talks, off-the-wall beliefs and awkward encounters.

As Jane writes, “I thought sex meant getting naked while staring at your partner under the bedroom covers for 30 Mississippi seconds. I really don’t know who to blame for hiding the truth from me– my parents, society or The Sims. … As a college student, you would think I’ve sat down with my parents by now and had ‘the talk,’ but that’s just not the case. The only time my mother even said the word ‘sex’ to my face was as she handed me birth control my freshman year of college. She kept the car in park– the keys in the ignition– and said to me, ‘Now I want you to know how boys will be.'”

Dick’s take: “In high school, most people lose their virginity to a partner that they know or date, allowing for a more controlled environment. Girls, usually more than guys, have envisioned their first sexual experience in a particular way and want everything to go according to plan. Guys just want to get in there.”

2

In fall 2011, the Collegian first got into the sex game, publishing a column called “Mounting Nittany.” It immediately provoked a massive online response and over time developed a cult love-it-or-hate-it following. Then, abruptly, it was gone. In the wake of the Sandusky scandal, it was pulled and ultimately did not return, in part out of respect for those affected and the larger “situation and mood” on campus.

Collegian adviser Jim Rodenbush is excited about the potential of this new incarnation, telling me simply, “I think we really might be on to something this time around.”

Penn State’s Daily Collegian Sex Column ‘Mounting Nittany’ Temporarily Pulled

Daily Collegian’s First Sex Column Goes Viral at Penn State

2 Responses to “Sex is Back in Penn State Student Newspaper: Meet Dick & Jane”
  1. Cameron says:

Though I agree with them bringing back a sex column, would they have brought it back if the NY Times had not written “Sex on campus: she can play that game too”? Makes me think they’re just doing this to fix their image.

• Dan Reimold says:

Interesting viewpoint, but I strongly disagree. The Daily Collegian is one of the best student newspapers in the country. It isn’t in need of image repairing. Staff made a great decision here. They added a feature about a topic that is a major part of students’ lives, respectfully waiting until it could be run without being only associated with the Sandusky scandal. It will attract readers, generate discussion and hopefully educate and entertain. Win, win, win. And remember, in the end, it’s just a single feature in a single spread in a single weekly magazine issue. The paper has tons of great stuff every day, in print and online, sexy and straightforward. Check it out!