Student Newspaper Front Page Featuring Vaginas Blows Up Down Under

A campus newspaper’s attempt to “make a stance about body ownership” by featuring female students’ genitalia on its front page has resulted in censorship and a press and social media maelstrom in Australia.

Honi Soit is a publication with “a proud history of radicalism.” It is also the oldest student-run weekly newspaper down under, publishing since 1929 at the University of Sydney. Current staffers planned to run uncensored and undoctored images of 18 vaginas on the cover of this week’s issue — and they did, sort of. 

Why? As editors explained in a Facebook post, “We are tired of having to attach anxiety to our vaginas. We are tired of vaginas being either artificially sexualized (see: porn) or stigmatized (see: censorship and airbrushing). We are tired of being pressured to be sexual, and then being shamed for being sexual. The vaginas on the cover are not sexual. We are not always sexual. The vagina should and can be depicted in a non-sexual way — it’s just another body part.”

2

The 90-second thrust of how the paper’s crusade played out: The Honi Soit recently staged very intimate photo shoots with 18 willing young women who apparently “found the experience to be liberating.” Editors then laid out the pics on the cover. But a university office that oversees printing of the paper blanched, stemming from a concern “the cover was against the law” (specifically 578C of the Australian NSW Crimes Act).

How are the explicit images possibly illegal? As Lily Patchett, a University of Sydney student and one of the women whose genitalia is featured on the front page, shares, “Australian law states that published vaginas must be healed down to a single crease, which means that almost every vagina you see in the media has been censored and/or airbrushed — you’ll never see any ‘bits’ hanging out.”

Editors confirmed they “did not foresee how big a legal issue the cover would become.” A compromise was reached — black bars run across part of each image (specifically the portions featuring the labia and clitoris). But upon the issue’s distribution on campus “it was discovered the black bars were transparent and did little to cover the vaginas.” Administrators swooped in, carrying out a “dramatic recall” of all 4,000 copies of the issue. They are now set to possibly destroy the covers.

Local, national and now international media attention has followed. The hashtag #vaginasoit has been spreading fast on Twitter. And a lengthy retort by the Honi Soit leadership on its Facebook page has garnered tons of comments, most of them seemingly supportive.

According to the paper’s editors, “Censorship laws in Australia state that the publishing of ‘indecent articles’ is illegal. Indecent is supposed to be something that will ‘offend’ a ‘reasonable person’. That in 2013, the vulva can still be considered something that will offend a reasonable person is absurd. … [W]hat is offensive or obscene about a body part that over half of the Australian population have? Why can’t we talk about it — why can’t we see it? Why is that penises are scrawled in graffiti all around the world, but we can’t bear to look at vaginas?”

At the close of the Facebook post, editors cite the full French phrase upon which the newspaper’s name has been adapted: “Honi soit qui mal y pense.” Translation: “Shame upon him who thinks evil of it.”

1

In a separate piece for Birdee, headlined “That’s My Vagina on Honi Soit,” Patchett argues, “It makes no sense to me that in this day and age, vaginas are still held to mythical standards of beauty — soft, hairless and white. The reality of vaginas is that some of them are hairy, sometimes prickly, sometimes dark, sometimes pinkish. Some women’s labia poke out, some don’t. But mostly, vaginas are always treated as some great, big, shameful secret.”

Click here to view close-up versions of the uncensored and black-box covers. Warning: NSFW.

Oklahoma Daily Faces Backlash After Posting Deceased Student’s Autopsy Report

College of Arts & C—: Cornell Sun Accidentally Publishes Vulgarity in Final Issue

Kent State Student Magazine Deemed Too Sexual, Vulgar for Publication by 3 Ohio Printers

Utah Chronicle Staffers in Trouble for Vulgar Goodbye Issue

3 Responses to “Student Newspaper Front Page Featuring Vaginas Blows Up Down Under”
  1. Kelster says:

I believe someone should make a similar outlet to the one created here, but only about news surrounding females in college. I feel like bringing light to the subject of the VAGINA, yes I said it, and its “obscenity” (however that makes any sense) was a great idea and trendy, in that, women’s rights are still evolving daily. Hoorah for a college newspaper having the guts that apparently no one else has. News like this spreads which means more people see it; hopefully, the real reason behind the article is retained by some of those people. This is just the tip of the iceberg on the many issues faced by women across the world, but if we start talking about these things, then maybe we can make a difference. After all, we are the leaders of tomorrow and tomorrow starts today.

2. Kelster says:

Forgot to add, this reminds me of the new photo spreads that are being placed in Seventeen Magazine. A teenager petitioned Seventeen to include images of girls her age that were not doctored because she said she was tired of trying to live up to artificial standards popularized in such magazines and wanted to see girls like herself in the magazine. Her petition blew up and Seventeen obliged. They are going to run one photo spread in each publication of a girl without any form of doctoring. It’s moves like these that embraces real women with their imperfections, but real beauty as well.

1. […] The honi soit at the University of Sydney in Australia recently chose the former. And it is getting lots of buzz. […]