Rebel Yell at UNLV Rejects Political Advertisement Due to University Policy

The Rebel Yell at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, declined to publish an advertisement in its first summer print edition last week because the ad expressed a political message.

This political rebellion is not specific to Rebel Yell. It is the law of the land for all UNLV student media. The university apparently sports a policy that restricts campus publications from running advertising linked in any way to politics or religion.

Wait, there’s more. Student media affiliated with UN to the LV “must also refuse advertisements for alcohol, tobacco and drug paraphernalia; products produced by child labor; those that promote ‘high-risk ventures’ [do spray tanning and plasma donations count?]; those that use racist or sexist themes or stereotypes; and those that sell sex as a product, even by implication.”

1

The ad that most recently met with rejection arrived via the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. As the Las Vegas Sun reports, “The Democratic political action committee, which supports House Democrats, announced its intentions last week to place advertisements in six college newspapers to alert students that their congressional representative [on the Republican side] was ‘poised to allow their student loan rates to double by the end of June.'”

It’s left-leaning-ness is what especially triggered alarm bells among the RY ad team. Why? Because the UNLV student media rulebook also declares, “Advertising must be viewpoint neutral.”

What do you think? An appropriate policy overall or maybe a tad over-restrictive?

One commenter on the Sun piece: “I can’t think of any advertising which is ‘viewpoint neutral.’ Advertising is designed to promote a favorable/unfavorable view of something, [a] neutral response would defeat the purpose.”

One Response to “Rebel Yell at UNLV Rejects Political Advertisement Due to University Policy”
  1. Chris says:

I understand, though don’t approve of the stance for not printing ads for alcohol or tobacco, and do support the not printing of ads that are prejudice in nature.

Not being able to print political or religious ads on the other hand is ridiculous. Thankfully I am under no such restriction for my student ran university newspaper.