Red & Black Publisher at University of Georgia Resigns

Harry Montevideo, the publisher of The Red & Black at the University of Georgia, has resigned. According to Flagpole Magazine, a news source in UGA’s hometown Athens, Ga., “The decision was a mutual one between Montevideo and the nonprofit’s board of directors that stemmed from financial struggles in the online world.”

In a public statement released earlier today, the R&B board praised Montevideo for being “directly responsible for some of the greatest successes realized by one of America’s oldest student newspapers.” At the same time, a board member tells Flagpole, “The Red & Black is facing the same problems every newspaper is facing right now. The board and Harry felt we need the right kind of leadership to move where the paper needs to move in the current media landscape.

As CMM readers and college media geeks might recall, Montevideo went briefly viral last August during the buzzworthy Red & Black staff strike. At one point during the strike, prior to a meeting between student editors and the board, Montevideo was involved in an altercation with a reporter covering the proceedings. The reporter ended up on the ground. Check out a video of the incident below.

Red & Black Publisher Tackles Reporter Attempting to Cover Meeting Between Board, Former Staff

Red & Black Becomes Red & Dead: Student Staff Quits, Protesting Loss of Editorial Control