University of North Florida Spinnaker May Shift from Weekly Newspaper to Monthly Magazine

How would you feel if the Spinnaker became a glossy-print magazine?  It is the second question on a survey for University of North Florida students, faculty, and staff aimed at eliciting outside feedback in preparation for the Spinnaker’s potential shift from a weekly newspaper to a monthly newsmagazine.

1

As Folio Weekly reports, “The tentative plan for publishing a magazine would call for 10 monthly issues– including two double issues– beginning in Fall 2013.  ‘People can expect more investigative news pieces and longer and more in-depth feature pieces,’ if the student publication makes the change, [editor-in-chief Jacob] Harn said.”

According to Spinnaker adviser John Timpe, 10,000 to 12,000 copies of each monthly mag would be printed– compared to the current 4,000-print run for the weekly paper.

2

Front page of a November 2012 Spinnaker.

As Folio Weekly confirms, the Spinnaker’s student mag inspirations: Distraction at the University of Miami and Ampersand, produced by The Red & Black at the University of Georgia.

4

4

Guest Post: North Florida Spinnaker Offers New Way to Look at ‘Top News’

North Florida Spinnaker Adviser John Timpe Discusses ‘Sex Cover,’ His Role in News Production

North Florida Spinnaker ‘Sex Cover’ Controversy: Update on Funding Freeze

College Media Podcast: North Florida Spinnaker Editor Josh Gore Discusses Racy Cover Controversy