Good News, Bad News: LSU’s Daily Reveille Wins National Award, Loses Lawsuit

It’s good news/bad news day at The Daily Reveille, Louisiana State University’s student newspaper.

First, the good news.  The Reveille has received the Society of Professional Journalists’ top billing.  Earlier today, the SPJ named it the national winner in the “Best All-Around Daily Student Newspaper” category.  To be clear, among big wins, that’s a Super Bowl Victory.

Now, the bad news.  The paper lost the lawsuit its top editor recently filed against LSU. As I posted last month, Reveille EIC Andrea Gallo sued the university to obtain records related to the school’s presidential search– a process conducted with such cringe-inducing secrecy even the names of the finalists have not been revealed.

1

As Gallo said at the time, “I was hoping throughout the entire search process that LSU would work with us so we, as reporters, could give our readers insight into who the next president of LSU would be and what qualities we were looking for in that person. It became apparent pretty early on that our access was not only limited, but practically blacked out.”

That blackout will continue for now, pending Gallo’s decision about whether to appeal. Strangely, this pro-secrecy ruling is completely at odds with a separate judge’s recent decision in what was essentially the same dispute.  As NOLA.com reports, “Five days after one East Baton Rouge Parish judge ordered LSU to turn over the names of 35 candidates for the university presidency to NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune and the Advocate, a second judge ruled the opposite way in a nearly identical lawsuit brought by [Gallo].”

Student press bias?  Murky area of the law?  An example of how much hinges on the personal beliefs of the judge?

Daily Reveille Editor Sues LSU to Obtain Names of Presidential Candidates

LSU’s Daily Reveille Providing Standout Isaac Storm Coverage