Letter in Boston College Student Paper: BC Professor Who Hates Running Vows to Enter 2014 Boston Marathon

In a letter to the editor posted by The Heights student newspaper in the immediate aftermath of the Boston Marathon blasts, Boston College political science professor Peter Krause vowed to compete in next year’s marathon– even though he hates running and has never run more than five miles at a time in his life.

According to Krause, who studies terrorism’s impact, “People often ask me what average citizens can do in response to terrorism.  Well, here is your answer: Make sure that next year’s Boston Marathon has more participants and spectators than any other in history.  The people who carried out these attacks must be tracked down and punished by law enforcement, but we as a society get to decide if the attacks have a broader impact.  We get to decide if we respond to these terrible acts with fear and hatred or with renewed community spirit. . . . Who is with me?”

1

Boston Marathon Blasts: BU Student Photographer’s Pic Picked Up by New York Times, AP, Reuters

Boston Marathon Blasts: Harvard Crimson Posts Running List of ‘Harvard Affiliates’ Confirmed OK

2 Responses to “Letter in Boston College Student Paper: BC Professor Who Hates Running Vows to Enter 2014 Boston Marathon”
  1. Amanda says:

People cannot just enter the Boston Marathon. They have to have a qualifying time to run the marathon.

http://www.marathonguide.com/news/regfeatures/BostonQualifying.cfm

It’s a nice sentiment though.

• Dan says:

Amanda- Great point. I do wonder in all seriousness what race organizers might do about what I imagine will be a super-increased interest from the public in participating.