Indiana Daily Student Publishes Special ‘Shortchanged’ Series on International Student Experience at IU

The Indiana Daily Student is publishing a fascinating eight-part series this week in print and online focused on the “increasingly international” student presence and recruitment push at Indiana University– and the many ways students’ actual experiences are not living up to the ideals of the foreign exchange.

As the IDS investigations team explains about the series, titled “Shortchanged,” “IU is shortchanging its international students out of the true Hoosier experience, placing them in overflow housing, improperly assessing their English proficiency, and under preparing staffers and resident assistants to make them feel at home.”

1

Stories in the series focus on increasingly numbers-driven international recruiting efforts, international students’ challenges adjusting to a foreign culture and college routine, and English-language proficiency standards that may not truly indicate how ready students are to engage in classes and day-to-day living in a non-native tongue.

The investigation’s driving question, one that should inspire your own news team to localize and start digging in: “Are IU policies and resources accommodating the growing demographic of international students on the Bloomington campus?  We’ve spent two months digging and talking to students from across the globe to find an answer.”
2

120 Years Old, 120-Point Font: Quick Tales from 2 Student Newspapers (Daily Tar Heel, Indiana Daily Student)

Indiana Daily Student Uses Storify to Spotlight Campus Reactions to Bin Laden Killing

In the Spotlight: Wiktoria Parysek, The Daily Pennsylvanian