Help The GW Hatchet Win $20,000 for a New Newsroom: Vote Today!

The GW Hatchet at George Washington University is planning to move out of its current cramped newsroom into a D.C. townhouse “that will be renovated into a modernized headquarters with double the space of its old office.”  The paper is raising money to help with the renovations.

Now, we can all help.  Hatchet EIC Priya Anand: “The Hatchet is among the student groups in a challenge GW is sponsoring.  Basically, 20+ orgs are competing for up to $20k from an alumnus, and the top five groups to get the most votes make it to round two, which is reliant on donor participation (number of donors, not total sum, so even $1 donations will go a long way).  Right now, all we need are the votes to make it into the top five.  You don’t need to be a student to vote. . . . As [Student Press Law Center executive director] Frank LoMonte put it, this would help us ‘get a less dumpy home,’ and it only takes about five seconds to vote!”

1

To vote, click here or on the screenshot above.  Hatchet board of directors member Ken Chaletzky: “We’re just getting started with our public [newsroom fundraising] campaign, and we’re very pleased with how we’ve gotten off the ground.  We’ve got a long ways to go.  The space the Hatchet is in now is inadequate.  If you’re going to attract more people to the paper, you need a facility that makes them want to come here.”

2

Student Journalist Spotlight: Priya Anand, Editor-in-Chief, The GW Hatchet

George Washington Hatchet Sets Up Special ‘Election Guide 2012′ Website