A Day After Censoring Itself to Protest Sex Mess, New Mexico’s Daily Lobo is Back in Print, in Full

The Daily Lobo at the University of New Mexico is once again publishing a full print edition, a day after literally X-ing out all content in protest of student press censorship at a nearby community college.

As I previously posted, officials at Central New Mexico Community College suspended The CNM Chronicle student newspaper this week almost immediately after the Chronicle published a sex issue.  Officials also removed copies of the issue from newsracks across campus.

To display its simultaneous support for the Chronicle and disgust for CNM administrators’ actions, the Daily Lobo censored itself.  In an excellent front-page editorial in yesterday’s print edition, editor-in-chief Elizabeth Cleary called the mess at CNM “a ruthless and authoritarian display of censorship”– revealing that apparently at one point officials at the college “even pried the issue out of students’ hands if they saw them reading it.”

1

Apart from the editorial, the paper ran black Xs in place of all articles and photos, leaving the rest of the issue comprised of only ads.  The symbolic act received bundles of kudos and outside media attention.  Cleary promised the paper would continue running the Xs until the Chronicle was once again allowed to publish without admin. interference.

3

2

Fortunately, CNM apologized and reinstated the Chronicle yesterday, meaning the Daily Lobo is once again running editorial content in print, in full.  The lead story in today’s issue: the happy Chronicle news.

4

Central New Mexico Community College Reinstates Student Newspaper After Sex Issue Brouhaha

Central New Mexico Community College Suspends Student Newspaper After Sex Issue

One Response to “A Day After Censoring Itself to Protest Sex Mess, New Mexico’s Daily Lobo is Back in Print, in Full”
  1. […] A Day After Censoring Itself to Protest Sex Mess, New Mexico’s Daily Lobo is Back in Print, in Fu… […]