‘Tough Time for College Journalism’: Budget Woes Befall 2 (More) Student Newspapers

A pair of top-notch student newspapers at community colleges located on separate coasts are facing similar funding woes.  Below are snippets and screenshots of stories about The Sun at Southwestern College and The Centurion at Bucks County Community College.  As the Sun’s beloved faculty adviser Max Branscomb sums things up: “It’s a tough time for college journalism.

U-T San Diego reports about the Sun: “In fiscally fatter times, the college funded 14 print editions of The Sun a year at a cost of about $63,000.  Over the past decade, the budget has gradually eroded to where it stands now, funding about three ink-and-paper editions a year.  ‘What makes that worse is our advertising pretty much has collapsed,’ said Max Branscomb, The Sun’s faculty adviser.  ‘No one wants to buy advertising that comes out three times sporadically.  Our whole business model has collapsed now.'”

1

In a separate piece earlier this month, BCCC professor and Centurion adviser Tony Rogers shares: “The Centurion usually publishes eight to 10 issues a semester, but due to budget cuts will only be able to publish half that many this semester. . . . It’s a tough time for the staff because, despite what media bloggers have written about the future of news being online, it’s just not the same when stories appear on a website but not in print.  That’s true even for my students, most of whom have grown up in the digital age and can’t remember the ancient pre-Internet era.”

2

300 Daily Texan Alumni Criticize Media Board’s Response to Paper’s ‘Life-or-Death Financial Troubles’

College Media Podcast: Digital Shifts, Financial Troubles & the Next ‘Killer News Tool’

Financial Troubles May Force American University Student Newspaper to Go Online-Only

Ivy League Student Newspapers Hurting Financially– Due to Loss of Financial Job Ads

2 Responses to “‘Tough Time for College Journalism’: Budget Woes Befall 2 (More) Student Newspapers”
  1. Bryan Murley says:

They could publish more on the web and try to sell advertising online in between their sparse print publications. Just spit-balling here.

1. […] College newspapers are suffering as much as local papers in an era when print’s power is routi…. With ad lines eroding, print editions of college papers are being cut to save money. In some cases, these savings seem paltry — $63,000/year in a university budget seems hardly worth attacking as an extravagance. Moving thoughtlessly to online-only may further entrench the habit of overlooking print’s power, as students won’t ever see the effect print can have on their audience and therefore will have no cross-platform experience outside of online platforms. When a profession is presumed to be all online, how do you break the mold? […]