5 Things College Students Want to Get Rid Of: Uncaring Profs, Rap, Exercise, February & Not Enjoying Your 20s

What would the world be better off without?  In separate articles and op-eds appearing recently within collegemediatopia, students have offered a bevy of suggestions on “unnecessary traditions, ideas, and institutions” that should be scrapped or significantly changed.

Taken together, they represent a massive de-cluttering worthy of a similar feature published in The Washington Post.  The Post’s annual “Spring Cleaning” asks a select group of thinkers to nominate “an idea, a tradition, a habit, a technology . . . that we’d all be better off tossing out” from society at-large.  In its four-year run, writers have proposed that everything from engagement rings, exit polls, and premium gas to chick flicks, small talk, and the vice presidency be given the boot.

2

In the spirit of their professional opinions, this (hopefully) regular feature brings student voices into the mix.  Below is a sampling of things students argue should be scrapped from college campuses and society at-large.

1) Professors who care more about their research than teaching or their students.  As Meg O’Connor contends in The Minnesota Daily, “I sometimes feel a great disconnect between my professors and myself. Yes, I understand that I am one of 50,000 students here and can’t expect to be known by name by everyone. However, some professors seem more interested in their own research than they are in their students.  Are we sacrificing great teaching for world-renowned research?  I understand the importance of learning from professionals in the field. Yet, there should still be professors in the classroom who are passionate about, well, teaching.”

2) Complaints about being a twentysomething.  As Syracuse University senior Kevin Slack advises in The Daily Orange, “Stop whining about how hard it is to be young and fun, everybody. It is absolutely the most ridiculous thing, ever. . . . Let’s be honest, being a kid is terrible. You can’t drive, you can’t see R-rated movies or do literally anything that is fun or interesting. You’re just a short idiot who’s at the mercy of your parents.  And what about being old? Being 30? 40? 50? . . . You wrinkle. Can’t move very fast. Forget things. Have responsibilities.  Ever wonder why old people long for their youth again? Yeah, it’s because this time, right now, is probably one of the best times of your life.”

1

3) Hip-hop music and artists.  As University of Florida sophomore Erik Skipper writes in The Independent Florida Alligator, “[T]he rap industry is characterized by some of the most inarticulate and unintelligible lyricists who confuse clever wordplay and humorous puns for childish metaphors and lay-z innuendos.  I’ll be honest with you. I can’t stand rap. I believe that it is the most profligate and ignoble profession of all.  Rappers spew filth and objectify women. They glorify violence and promote drug use.”

2

4) Pressure to regularly jog or exercise at the gym.  As Dartmouth University student Emily Albrecht points out in The Dartmouth, “Exercise comes in different forms. . . . Personal health can be achieved by taking walks, ice skating, playing ‘Dance Central,’ throwing a Frisbee– believe it or not, physical fitness exists outside of timed runs and hellish Stairmasters. . . . If somebody abhors going on a run, or riding a bike, or lifting weights or dancing, that is absolutely fine. . . . It is entirely possible to do great things without holding a gym membership or running for miles in the snow.”

4

5) The entire month of February.  As Cornell University sophomore Deon Thomas writes in The Cornell Daily Sun, “For starters, year after year, February offends me with its cold and harsh weather.  It seems as if every year on Feb. 1, right on cue, I catch a cold.  Secondly, the most dreaded day of the years falls within the month of February.  This day is without a doubt Feb. 14, better known as Valentine’s Day.  I have my own theory that candy companies, jewelers, florists, and women everywhere met in secret and devised a plan to sucker men out of their money, as well as their ever-growing egos. . . . February is also known as the ridiculous ‘African-American History Month,’ the most ludicrous of all of February’s injustices. . . . My argument is probably best expressed by Morgan Freeman’s quote: ‘I don’t want a black history month.  Black history is American history.'”

What Would College Life Be Better Off Without? Part 1: Essays, Unpaid Internships & Nice Guys Finishing Last

What Would College Life Be Better Off Without? Part 2: Deadbeat Profs, Bad Grammar & Post-Grad Life Goals