Student Paper at Georgia Perimeter College ‘On Path to Utter Annihilation’

The advertising revenue of yet another student newspaper is down, down, down– placing it “on a path to utter annihilation.”  Happy Thursday.

The financial troubles– and possible print edition disappearance– of The Collegian at Georgia Perimeter College are especially frustrating because they seemingly have been and continue to be preventable.  According to a guest editorial by former editor-in-chief David Schick, the loss last year of adviser David Simpson– among other things, an ad-revenue-generating machine– has started a downward slide to a $0 account balance.

The cause of the Collegian’s post-Simpson financial collapse?  Schick: “[A]pparent neglect from the new adviser and the administration.”

1

Read Schick’s write-up for a fuller version of the events.  The 30-second outline: Beloved adviser is fired along with many others amid budget-tightening mess.  Schick is told selling ads would continue to be primary responsibility of any new adviser hired.  Subsequent hiring ad for new adviser mentions nothing about selling ads.  New adviser doesn’t want to sell ads as part of her job.  Cue heated meetings, financial free-fall, current uncertainty.

The lowest blow, according to Schick, came when the new adviser apparently said she “wasn’t confident selling ads because of our subpar content.”  Hmm.  Former adviser Simpson: “[N]ot once did any advertiser comment on grammar or content. Additionally, this paper was a national Pacemaker finalist a year ago. It has dominated the state contest the last two years, and I expect that to continue this year.  This paper’s website was widely praised by FACULTY this summer for investigative coverage.”

To Be Continued

One Response to “Student Paper at Georgia Perimeter College ‘On Path to Utter Annihilation’”
  1. Adam Jonas Waldorf says:

Former EIC here. Simpson was great and The Collegian was producing reporters and designers that have gone on to do work of note at The Red and Black and The Signal. The administration and student government were never comfortable with having a paper that prided itself on investigative journalism. They, as an almost completely united block, encouraged us to write what they termed more positive stories. Once we took the prerogative to write about what we thought was important the squeeze was on. The budget problems were simply an excuse to dwindle the paper to nothing. It’s sad because the journalism that was going on was bringing the school prestige and improving the culture and administration practices at the school.