Virginia’s Cavalier Daily Going Digital-First: ‘Riding the Wave of Contemporary Journalism’

The Cavalier Daily is going digital-first.  Beginning in August, the University of Virginia student newspaper will offer an expanded slate of online and mobile offerings and premiere a twice-weekly newsmagazine in place of its daily (four-times-per-week) print paper.  A new logo will even be unveiled.

With this leap, the CD joins other A-list student pubs undergoing full digital reinventions, including The State Press at Arizona State University, the Emerald at the University of Oregon, and The Red & Black at the University of Georgia.

It is also the second digital-first announcement of the semester, following one made by The Eagle at American University.  Yet, while the Eagle’s possible online-only transformation is being considered due to financial duress, the Cavalier Daily’s push is simply a matter of “riding the wave of contemporary journalism.”

1

In a press release Friday confirming the switch, editor-in-chief Matthew Cameron explained, “Much of our audience is now getting its news online, and the print frequency reduction will free up time and resources that we can devote to producing digital content that is better tailored to our readers’ preferences.”

Late last year, in a wonderful show of support from UVA, the school’s Parents’ Committee provided $20,000 to help the paper’s digitization and rebranding.

Financial Troubles May Force American University Student Newspaper to Go Online-Only

One Response to “Virginia’s Cavalier Daily Going Digital-First: ‘Riding the Wave of Contemporary Journalism’”
  1. […] College Media Matters, the announcement that the Cavalier Daily at the University of Virginia is going “digital […]