Campus Newspaper Publishing Book on Student Government President

The Saginaw Valley Journal has put together a book on the current president of the Student Association at Saginaw Valley State University.  The book is being released in June by the same publishing company that oversees the SVJ, a for-profit campus newspaper focused on the Michigan school.  The company is owned and operated by Michael Westendorf, an increasingly innovative and intriguing figure within collegemediatopia.

The book’s title: “Feels Good Man– The Student Presidency of Theodore C. Goodman From the Pages of The Saginaw Valley Journal.”  (Cover image in screenshot below.)

1

As the paper explained last week in an online announcement, “Last spring, Mr. Goodman became just the second SVSU student since Armen Hratchian in 2004– and just the seventh student in 45 years– to serve two consecutive terms as president of the association.  The year before, Mr. Goodman eked out a 10-vote victory in extraordinary fashion to unseat Julie A. Boon in a nail-biting election that saw more than 880 votes.”

Upon learning of the news, I asked Westendorf two questions via email.  Question #1: Why?  As he tells me, “It boils down to: we had enough material on him/his tenure for a book, and I’m president of a publishing company.  That’s really it.  It’s not a profit-seeking venture, it’s just a project we wanted to do that might expand our brand a bit, and one that I think will add to our ‘library’ of quality journalism.”

Question #2: Why would this be of interest to anyone outside the student president’s immediate family?

Westendorf: “The reaction so far has been, in a word: amusement.  This, of course, is the type of thing usually reserved for national newsmakers, not local (or campus) officials, but that’s really what our coverage does with the student government here. It truly treats the student government as THE government.”

One folo for Westendorf, when he reads this: What does the first part of the title refer to?  (I’ll update the post when he answers.)

Update, from Westendorf: “‘Feels Good Man’ is an Internet meme that originated in message boards like 4chan and the like. It’s a take off of Ted’s last name (Goodman). During his first campaign, some folks joked that he should have used the ‘Feels Good Man’ meme on posters.”

2 Responses to “Campus Newspaper Publishing Book on Student Government President”
  1. Hey Dan: “Feels Good Man” is an Internet meme that originated in message boards like 4chan and the like. It’s a take off of Ted’s last name (Goodman). During his first campaign, some folks joked that he should have used the “Feels Good Man” meme on posters.