Student Press Hurricane Sandy Coverage: Flashlight Tag, Waylaid Volleyball Team, Hurricane Malt Liquor Sales

Highlights from student press Hurricane Sandy coverage.

Email or tweet me with examples of your own news outlet’s Sandy coverage.

The Daily Orange, Syracuse University

Amid canceled classes– quite a rare event at Syracuse– The Daily Orange has published what its editor-in-chief Mark Cooper is calling a special storm edition. Among the articles in the issue: a retrospective featuring faculty and alumni memories of a 1998 Labor Day derecho (“a widespread, long-lived, straight-line windstorm”)– the last time weather led to campus-wide course cancellations at SU. All DO Sandy stories can be found here.

The Daily Pennsylvanian, University of Pennsylvania

The Daily Pennsylvanian is maintaining an entire separate section on its website devoted to its Hurricane Sandy coverage, including a “Reporter’s Notebook” piece sharing one staffer’s glimpse of a local Red Cross storm shelter.  Earlier today, the paper also launched a Hurricane Sandy Storify to document the storm’s escalating impact on Penn and greater Philadelphia.

The Daily Collegian, Penn State University

The Daily Collegian put out a special PDF issue tonight, a digital version of the paper that was not able to be printed and distributed around State College, Pa., due to Sandy.  The one-word front-page headline reads simply: “Frankenstorm.”  Separately, one story posted by the Collegian online that caught my eye by staff writer Adam Lidgett confirms, “State College bottle shops are selling out of Hurricane 40 oz. Malt Liquor in nearly record numbers.”

The Harvard Crimson, Harvard University

The Crimson crew has been dutifully covering the storm’s run-up and touchdown at Harvard and within Boston, Mass.  The paper’s famed Flyby blog also features one of the more lighthearted Sandy stories I’ve seen so far: “The Official Hurricane Sandy Playlist.”  It is a rundown of a dozen storm-themed songs students should have on in the background while they study or party during their time off from classes.  Among the selected songs: Led Zeppelin’s “When The Levee Breaks,” The Jimi Hendrix Experience’s “Still Raining, Still Dreaming,” and Adele’s “Skyfall.”

The Daily Princetonian, Princeton University

The Daily Princetonian is providing numerous updates to the Princeton community on its homepage and through its Twitter feed, including informing readers the school has switched to generator power.  Staff also put together a Sandy photo slideshow, including the shot below of two students cooking in their dorm instead of heading outside to find food.

The Hatchet, George Washington University

The Hatchet crew at George Washington University is all over Sandy’s impact on GW and D.C.  Along with a team of photographers snapping and posting shots of external and internal damage (including water leaking into dorm hallways), they are providing live blog updates.  One interesting news brief focuses on GW professors who held online classes today amid the university’s closure and obvious problems some had venturing outside.

The Comment, Bridgewater State University

Kaitlyn Wallace, editor-in-chief of The Comment at Bridgewater State University, has put together one of the more impressively comprehensive write-ups I’ve seen on the many sides of Sandy.  It includes a snippet on some student and staff concerns about how long it took for the school to announce its temporary closure.  And it mentions what must be a situation faced by a number of other schools nationwide– the BSU women’s volleyball team is currently stuck in Memphis after a weekend invitational due to canceled flights.

The Columbia Spectator, Columbia University

The Columbia Spectator is covering Sandy’s impact on Columbia University and New York City with brief bursts of live updates, mainly through its Spectrum blog.  The paper’s former editor-in-chief Nick Summers also snapped and posted a shot of half-lit, half-dark Manhattan (due to blackouts) that is achieving instant viral fame on Instagram and Twitter.

Connect2Mason, George Mason University

The latest post on the Connect2Mason Sandy live blog at George Mason University is a breakdown of what students can do for fun while riding out the storm.  Among the suggested activities from entertainment editor Helena Okolicsanyi: flashlight tag, board games, and building a pillow and blanket fort.

The Cavalier Daily, University of Virginia

The Cavalier Daily is live-blogging the storm’s similar impact on the University of Virginia and Charlottesville, Va., including through user-submitted photos.