Student Newspapers at Two Milwaukee Schools in Financial Trouble

A pair of student newspapers at separate universities in Milwaukee, Wisc., are earning attention simultaneously for their financial fall-outs and related print troubles.  The outlets join a growing number of college media operating under economic duress.

As I previously posted, the decade-long plights of the professional press have at last weaved their way into the land of collegemediatopia.  If not quite a time of reckoning for some campus outlets, we have definitely entered a prolonged period of profound change– cutbacks, weary sighs, and hopefully some spirited reinventions.

All three are in play at both papers making news this week in Milwaukee.

Newspaper #1: The UWM Post, the student newspaper at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Print status: Dying, at the moment

In an open letter online, Post editors don’t mince words: “Our financial situation is dire. Projections for the rest of the semester show little hope of profit. We are currently scaling back our print run and our staff has taken a 50 percent pay cut to buy us time. Even with these measures in place, we will be lucky if we can keep printing through November.”

Paper #2: The Warrior, an alternative independent student newspaper published for nearly a decade at Marquette University

Print status: Dead, at the moment

The paper’s board of directors chairman, also a Marquette graduate student, told The Marquette Tribune, the school’s long-time student paper: “We’re not shutting down [permanently]– we’re taking a break for the semester as we take a look at how to make it a long-term, viable business. . . . Given the continually rising costs of publishing, newspapers weren’t making financial sense anymore.  We’re going to look for other alternatives and how the Warrior will carry on going forward.”

Time to Wake Up: Independent Student Newspapers are Struggling Financially

USA TODAY: Student Press Feeling ‘Financial Pinch’; J-Schools in ‘Adapt-or-Die Mode’