Article on Towson Student’s Push for White Student Union Triggers 300 Online Comments

A Towson University student is calling for the formation of a White Student Union on campus. In his words, the group “would represent the unique cultural heritage, folk customs, and strong Christian traditions that define white civilization.”

Matthew Heimbach first proposed the organization in a letter to the editor published earlier this month in The Towerlight, Towson’s student newspaper. A follow-up news report– which has triggered more than 300 online comments– confirmed Heimbach has met with the school’s Student Government Association adviser about getting it officially accepted.

He says close to 20 students have formally expressed an interest in joining. The goal is to receive university funding and permission to use university space for club activities.

“You have a Black Student Union who promotes black heroes, we want to do the same thing,” Heimbach said to the Towerlight. “We’d also want to create a safe space for members who have filed hate/bias reports and who have had anti-white language used against them. Especially the female members who have heard ‘cracker’ and ‘honkie,’ and nothing has ever come of it. It’s a support network for a campus that is hostile toward white students.”

Heimbach previously earned pockets of notoriety for his leadership of a student organization called Youth for Western Civilization (YWC). The national group is “focused on countering radical multiculturalism, socialism and mass immigration.”

According to The Baltimore Sun, the short-lived Towson YWC chapter “sparked controversy with its public displays against Islam, same-sex marriage, and multicultural education.” The CBS News Baltimore affiliate WJZ-13 additionally confirmed, “The group gained negative attention after messages of white pride were written in chalk across campus.”

To read more here, click here or on the screenshot below.

One Response to “Article on Towson Student’s Push for White Student Union Triggers 300 Online Comments”
  1. Thanks for bringing us this information.

“Especially the female members who have heard ‘cracker’ and ‘honkie,’ and nothing has ever come of it. It’s a support network for a campus that is hostile toward white students.”

This is something that could probably be fixed without the creation of a race specific group. I’m not sure on how I feel about the creation of the group based on not knowing enough about his actual intentions. Is this serious or tongue in cheek?

“The group gained negative attention after messages of white pride were written in chalk across campus.”

This is also disheartening. What kind of messages were they exactly? I think there can be a lot to discuss http://collegeliving3.wordpress.com/ hopes to touch on some of the issues raised here.