Princeton Review Best College Newspapers: 2012 List

Best College Newspapers: 2013 Ranking Released by Princeton Review

The latest rankings report listing the country’s Best College Newspapers has been released by Princeton Review.  The papers are listed below, in order of their selection.

Penn State’s Daily Collegian vaulted to the top, following in the footsteps of its CMM “College Newspaper of the Year” honors earlier this summer.

The Daily Kansan moved up dramatically as well.  The Red & Black, The Michigan Daily, The Daily Nexus at UC Santa Barbara, The Rocky Mountain Collegian at Colorado State University, and The Technician at North Carolina State University all jumped onto the list after not appearing on the 2011 version.  Meanwhile, The Daily Northwestern and The Daily Texan suffered big drops.  The Battalion at Texas A&M had the biggest spiral– dropping from the list after appearing at #5 last year.  The Minnesota Daily, The Daily Mississippian, The Daily Campus at UCONN, and The Hilltop at Howard University also disappeared from the current version.

The Princeton Review rankings are not without controversy.  As Bryan Murley from the Center for Innovation in College Media confirmed two summers ago, the process by which these papers achieve the “Best” distinction is, well, fairly ridiculous.

Yet, the rankings receive more attention from the public and mainstream media than every other student journalism contest and competition, including the Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker awards (the closest the student press has to the Pulitzer Prizes).  Why?  My guess, without sarcasm or cynicism: It’s an offshoot of the attention given to the sexier rankings such as “Best Party Schools.”

1. The Daily Collegian, Penn State University

2. The Daily Tar Heel, University of North Carolina

3. Yale Daily News, Yale University

4. The Brown Daily Herald, Brown University

(Tie) 5. The Badger Herald, University of Wisconsin-Madison

(Tie) 5. The Daily Cardinal, University of Wisconsin-Madison

6. The University Daily Kansan, Kansas University

7. The Diamondback, University of Maryland

8. The Independent Florida Alligator, University of Florida

9. The Daily Nexus, UC Santa Barbara

10. The Red & Black, University of Georgia

11. The Cornell Daily Sun, Cornell University

12. The Rocky Mountain Collegian, Colorado State University

13. The Daily Orange, Syracuse University

14. The Daily Gamecock, University of South Carolina

15. The Tufts Daily, Tufts University

16. The Michigan Daily, University of Michigan

17. The Post, Ohio University

18. Technician, North Carolina State University

19. The Daily Texan, University of Texas at Austin

20. The Daily Northwestern, Northwestern University

College Newspaper of the Year, 2011-2012: The Daily Collegian, Penn State University

13 Responses to “Princeton Review Best College Newspapers: 2012 List”
  1. Dane says:

Any non-dailies here?

2. Kate McCarty says:

Actually, the Red and Black is now weekly except for the online, and it made the list.

3. Bryan Murley says:

Maybe if media would ignore the “sexy” b.s. rankings, they wouldn’t get so much attention and we’d all be better off.

4. Kirk says:

I believe the The Technician (NCSU) is not a daily. Perhaps a current student can confirm.

• Dan says:

Mike- Appreciated! I like this one. OK, on initial spot-check, Technician and Yale Daily News appear to be the only ones without ‘The’ as a formal part of their names. Made the changes. Any others you know or think might not have ‘The’ as well?

• Kanishk says:

Technician is a daily!!! It does not come out on week ends and school holidays!!!!

5. Mike says:

I’m glad it’s included and I hate to be pedantic, but I’m going to be anyway: it’s explicitly “Technician,” not “The Technician.” I believe a few of the other papers also do not have “The” as part of the actual paper name as well. The way they are presented here makes it seem like they all do. Perhaps italicizing the name or not including the word “The” as part of the hyperlink would highlight this.

6. Jenna says:

Boston University’s Daily Free Press should most certainly be on this list.

1. […] Princeton Review Best College Newspapers: 2012 List […]

2. […] Reimold, Ph.D., writes for College Media Matters and has posted a list of the top college newspapers of 2012 as reported by the Princeton Review. […]