Boston College Student Columnist Offers Kanye, Bieber, Kristen Stewart & Other Celebs ‘Unsolicited Advice’

Jenna LaConte recently warned Kanye West to steer clear of a romantic relationship with Kim Kardashian. She separately pushed rageaholic R&B singer Chris Brown to move past his feud with rapper Drake.

She also told Justin Bieber to plead guilty in court and accept jail time for assaulting a photographer — stemming from an alleged incident in May — in order to finally earn the “thug status” that comes with spending time behind bars.

Bieber, Brown and West did not ask for LaConte’s advice, but that did not stop her from dispensing it.

“The Unsolicited Celebrity Advice Column” is a weekly summer blog series published by The Gavel, a progressive student newsmagazine at Boston College. LaConte, Gavel‘s culture editor and a junior English and communication double major at BC, has a four-fold aim with the half-serious, half-satiric feature.

First, she is using the column as a vehicle to indulge her celebrity and gossip news urges.  She is also seeking to provide a fresh, real-world perspective on the Hollywood bubble.  In addition, she is helping to keep Gavel blog content fresh during the summer doldrums, when many student media websites are so stale their homepages sport weeds.  And she is occasionally reminding readers that other individuals are involved in bigger celebrity stories, not just the A-list celebs.

For example, when news broke about the Miley Cyrus engagement drama, LaConte wrote to Liam Hemsworth — her budding actor fiancé — not Cyrus. Her advice to Hemsworth: Call the whole thing off, fast.  As she wrote him, “Don’t let the lack of brain activity in Hollywood drag you down. Please reconsider this grave mistake. You’re better off having everyone laugh off the short-lived engagement than going down in history as yet another failed celebrity marriage.”

In the Q&A below, LaConte lays out the scoop behind “Unsolicited Advice,” including how she selects the celebs and the advice she offers them.

Q: How did the column come about?

A: I write for The Gavel. We pride ourselves on being progressive politically and technologically, meaning we’re able to update online all the time. So as the year came to a close, we were all thinking it would be fun — just as a summer project — if individually we each took on a blog. So, for our next meeting, we were all told to present an idea. My mind instantly went to celebrity news.

In some ways, it’s a little bit embarrassing because it isn’t of course the most intellectual topic. But if I’m browsing the Internet, I find myself reading celebrity gossip websites.  We’re surrounded by it. We’re all sort of familiar with it.  Reality TV right now, we watch it for the train wrecks. It’s just how I like to unwind, I guess, to read about the train wrecks in Hollywood.

I then decided the typical kind of news writing form could easily get boring — both for me and readers. So I just thought, “Since we turn to celebrities so often for the train wreck aspect, why don’t I take that and turn it around on the celebrities and pose solutions to their unimaginable problems that we’re always reading about in the headlines?”

Q: How do you decide who to advise in each post?

A: The way I look at it, you have people like Lindsay Lohan, whose life is falling apart every day. I could write to her, but I’d end up doing it every single week. So I decided instead to go looking for some of the more hidden celebrity gems, coming up with things that aren’t right out there in the forefront of the news or taking something that’s really popular and putting a different spin on it. For example, with John Travolta’s marriage falling apart, I wrote to his wife instead of him.

Also, I like to stay as current and relevant as possible. I like to be on TMZ [the night before writing each post] so I can have something that’s a bit more recent. Some of the more interesting ones are those you aren’t necessarily thinking about all the time or aren’t all over the radio like the Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes divorce.

To read the rest of the post, click here or on the screenshot below.