University Press Goes Glossy!: ‘Welcome to the New UP’

The introduction to the editor’s note posted yesterday stated simply: “Welcome to the new UP.”  Ryan Cortes, editor-in-chief of The University Press at Florida Atlantic University, subsequently announced a big, bold, glossy change to previous UPs.  The student newspaper has reincarnated as a full-color newsmagazine– in editorial and aesthetic style and page type.

The first issue of UP 2.0 sports a series of interesting reports, including the cover story on the school’s retired football coach who is now raising money and still leg pressing 200 pounds and a profile of an FAU grad student enjoying life and beating the odds 24 years after being born “four and a half months premature and covered in embryonic fluid and doubt.”

University Press adviser Dan Sweeney explained more about the issue and the larger switch yesterday on a popular college media advisers’ list-serv: “The staff filled this issue with long-form, narrative journalism pieces.  News briefs and other content will now be going online, with the magazine reserved for high-quality art, long-form pieces, and magazine-style summaries of the week’s events.  It’s a new way of looking at things, should offer the students great clips and a wider variety of forms in which to practice their craft.  Couldn’t be happier with how hard they’ve been working to turn this issue out, and I’m looking forward with a mix of pride and trepidation to returning to weekly issues in the fall.”

The Minaret, the student newspaper I advise at the University of  Tampa, first rolled out a now-monthly glossy magazine edition in spring 2011, so I can confirm this type of reincarnation can be editorially, artistically, and financially successful.  Cortes, Sweeney, and all other UPers, good luck!

University Press Special Investigation: Florida Atlantic Trustees are Financially Skeevy, Scarily Powerful

Florida Atlantic Student Journalists Create Newspaper Without Computers: ‘OMG WTF?’

One Response to “University Press Goes Glossy!: ‘Welcome to the New UP’”