American University Student Body President Announces Gender Switch in Campus Newspaper Op-Ed

A day after ending his tenure as student government president at American University, Tim McBride revealed in an op-ed in The Eagle that he is transgender and is now ready to publicly identify himself as a woman, Sarah.

As McBride wrote in the piece, headlined “The Real Me”: “For my entire life, I’ve wrestled with my gender identity.  It was only after the experiences of this year that I was able to come to terms with what had been my deepest secret: I’m transgender. . . . As SG President, I realized that as great as it is to work on issues of fairness, it only highlighted my own struggles. It didn’t bring the completeness that I sought. By mid-fall, it had gotten to the point where I was living in my own head.  With everything I did, from the mundane to the exciting, the only way I was able to enjoy it was if I re-imagined doing it as a girl.  My life was passing me by, and I was done wasting it as someone I wasn’t.”

Since its publication and posting at the start of the month, the op-ed has earned quite a bit of buzz– social media virility, news media attention, and “plenty of support from students . . . and LGBT activists,” including a tweet from Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation.

McBride, about the response: “I always knew that I went to an inclusive and accepting school.  But the outpouring of love and support was so far beyond my expectations. I’ve never been prouder to go to A.U. . . . And I really do hope this experience for our campus is not a blip on the gossip mill.  I hope it’s an opportunity to raise awareness for a sustained inclusion and awareness of trans students.”