Report: Daily Texan Loses $225,000 So Far This Year, a ‘Shell of its Former Cash-Generating’ Self

The Daily Texan, the student newspaper behemoth at the University of Texas at Austin, is already in the red roughly $225,000 this calendar year.

According to an Austin Chronicle article so fresh its dateline is tomorrow, “the student newspaper has become a shell of its former cash-generating juggernaut.  Advertising, distribution, and especially the classifieds revenue has all but evaporated. . . . Blame lies everywhere, of course: from an excess glut of publications to a lack of grassroots community support, and the sabotaging presence of the Internet.”

The paper’s 2012 financial shortfall– even against $1.5 million in revenue– is apparently leaving its parent organization Texas Student Media “woefully unsustainable.”

Among the other outlets potentially impacted: student radio station KVRX, student broadcast station TSTV (the only, slightly, profitable entity within the TSM family at the moment), and the 15-year-old student humor publication Texas Travesty.

-.-

Immediate concern seems to center most on KVRX.  The lingering question: Will TSM’s financial plight become so apocalyptic that the station’s license will be sold?

One staffer’s riposte: “When you look at UT, and you see all this money being spent on new buildings and the football program, it feels unjust that KVRX is in the midst of all this uncertainty.  They don’t look at us like we’re important or irreplaceable, which is crazy. Imagine a school as big as UT without a radio frequency. It’s ridiculous that this is happening in a town like Austin that’s founded on cooperative community.”

One Response to “Report: Daily Texan Loses $225,000 So Far This Year, a ‘Shell of its Former Cash-Generating’ Self”
  1. […] Report: Daily Texan Loses $225,000 So Far This Year, a ‘Shell of its Former Cash-Generating’ Se… […]