Student Column on ‘Giant-T-Shirt-Non-Pants’ Fashion Trend Sparks Online Ruckus at Georgia Southern

A column on a fascinating student fashion trend published earlier this week in The George-Anne at Georgia Southern University has earned an outsized helping of scorn from online commenters.  (Hat tip to the wonderful Keith Warburg.)

The piece by Georgia Southern student Courtney Escher snidely attacks the rising number of undergraduate women who have apparently fallen prey to the “Giant-T-Shirt-Non-Pants (GTSNP) virus.”  According to Escher, this fashion statement of sorts typically involves “females wearing giant T-shirts and a form of non-pants and usually include[s] severe cerebral malfunctioning, or stupidity.”

As she further explains, satirically equating students sporting these outfits with zombie-like creatures:

“First you will notice the T-shirt.  It will be larger than the female wearing it by at least three sizes and will normally be a bright color, sometimes with anywhere from one to many logos for local businesses, fraternity formals and bars printed on them.  Next, you will notice the lack of pants. Anyone can wear a T-shirt and jeans but the virus calls for a lack of pants.  Please be warned: Leggings and athletic shorts are not pants.  Do not be confused; it could be the difference between your life and death.  Other things you may notice are Rainbow brand flip-flops or a Polo Ralph Lauren ball cap.  Essentially, the infected will display signs of preparing to go to the gym, without ever going to the gym.  The infected may appear healthy by wearing full prom make-up – trust me when I say this is a trap.”

The column’s perceived attack on some Georgia Southern women, specifically sorority girls, has spurred intense interest (more than 1,700 Facebook Likes) and a commenting offensive rarely seen on the website of a smaller student newspaper.

Among the posted feedback: “This might be the dumbest article I have ever read.”; “How dare you insult someone’s intelligence based on the things they wear TO CLASS?”; “Do you know how long woman have worked to be able to wear what they want?” and “You should just rewrite this and say ‘I don’t like the Greek community.’  I’m not a journalist, but reading stuff like this makes me want to sign up for the George-Anne just to counterattack.”

3 Responses to “Student Column on ‘Giant-T-Shirt-Non-Pants’ Fashion Trend Sparks Online Ruckus at Georgia Southern”
  1. jessie says:

Well, hey IT’S TRUE. Sure, they might be book smart and have a 3.78 GPA, but that doesn’t mean their fashion sense is that of the runway. It’s subpar. What so your face looks like it’s about to hit up the club but your body just rolled out of bed. Bottom line: don’t dress like an indecent hot mess.

2. Kat says:

Oh wow. I am absolutely shocked that this article didn’t die on the cutting room floor. Besides the fact that the title is purposely misleadling, it shows an immaturity of subject matter rarely shown on college campuses. I am not even Greek and I think this is blatant discrimination of a minority group based on looks alone. I mean if someone went on a tirade about pixie haircuts and what they may be indicative of, this journalist would have a fit. I blame the editor for letting this slide. There has to be more newsworthy topics. Bad show GSU.

3. Jonathan Law says:

The point of an opinion column is to do just that – share an opinion. When the students themselves will not voice their own opinions, then it’s left up to the writers and editors to voice theirs.

Besides, it’s clearly a work of satire – a figurative expression most of us SHOULD have learned in middle or high school. So the majority of GSU gets real butt-hurt over a little opinions column designed to make people laugh and get attention: Meanwhile, the George-Anne gets all of the viewership they could have ever wanted and then some.

So, my hat’s off to Courtney, and the George-Anne, for this little piece of work.
    Well done.