Plagiarism Body Count at Rochester Student Magazine: 1 Fired Writer, 2 Resigning Editors, 2 Pulled Stories

A student writer has been fired and two editors are resigning from The Reporter at the Rochester Institute of Technology amid discoveries of plagiarism within two recent stories.

According to a statement appearing in the weekly campus magazine’s current issue, copycatting was first spotted within a profile of a student-run sports news program.  Infinity Quad editor Chris Zubak-Skees confirms the offending article “contains phrases that are nearly identical to a [university PR] story, SportsZone‘s website, and a web page for the College Television Awards.”  It also sports at least one major factual snafu and spelling error.

At an emergency meeting called after complaints were first leveled at the piece, the RIT editorial board “investigated the writer’s entire body of work, as well as the past three issues in their entirety, in an effort to ensure that there were no other instances of plagiarism in our recent publications.  We discovered that one of the writer’s other articles, ‘A Woman’s Guide to Manscaping‘ (Vol. 61, Issue 22), also contained plagiarized content .”

The writer was immediately fired.  The two editors who oversee the sections in which the sullied stories appeared– the sports editor and leisure editor– have voluntarily offered their resignations effective once replacements are hired.  And both pieces have been removed from the Reporter website.  (The image above is a screenshot of the cached version.)

A portion of the editorial board statement, hand-signed by nine top editors (including the two planning to resign), states, “We deeply regret and assume full responsibility for this error. . . . Reporter’s editorial board will undergo more rigorous training to ensure that they are aware of their roles in the magazine. We will be reviewing our editorial policy regarding fact checking and attribution. We will be having professional journalists speak to our staff on the matters of ethics and purpose. We are also looking to acquire commercial anti-plagiarism software such as Turnitin.”

Rochester Student Magazine Changes ‘F-ck Cats’ Cover of April Fools’ Issue at Request of School Officials

One Response to “Plagiarism Body Count at Rochester Student Magazine: 1 Fired Writer, 2 Resigning Editors, 2 Pulled Stories”
  1. […] Plagiarism Body Count at Rochester Student Magazine: 1 Fired Writer, 2 Resigning Editors, 2 Pulled … […]