Maneater Editor-in-Chief Also Resigns, Although He Was Not Involved in April Fools’ Issue

Travis Cornejo resigned roughly two hours ago from his position as editor-in-chief of The Maneater at the University of Missouri.  Cornejo is the second top editor to step down from the campus newspaper so far this week.  Managing editor Abby Spudich resigned yesterday afternoon.  Both cited the paper’s recent controversial April Fools’ issue as the reason for their sudden departures.

The issue, published at the start of the month, contained numerous descriptions and terms deemed by some readers as offensive to women and the LGBTQ community, beginning with its name The Carpeteater.

Yet, while Spudich oversaw its production, Cornejo was not involved at all.  As he confirms in his resignation letter, “I’d like to clarify something: As per tradition, I took no part in the planning of the April Fools’ edition.  This edition of The Maneater has historically been put together by the editorial staff, as a sort of surprise for the editor-in-chief. I decided to follow through with that tradition.  Although I knew to expect the April Fools’ issue, I was unaware of the content.”

My Take: Cornejo’s resignation sincerely saddens me.  It’s obvious that he is bowing in a classy manner to external pressure– from readers in the Mizzou community and possibly even those inside the Maneater machine.  Given that he had no hand in the controversial issue and only weeks remaining in his tenure, it is hard to understand how this departure does anyone any good, in the short and long term.  Why would his own staff allow him to take the bullet for something they know was their fault, not his?  There is either much, much more to this situation not being revealed yet publicly or the individuals calling for his ouster have relied much more on hysteria and malice than reason and actual fact.

Maneater Managing Editor Resigns at Missouri Over ‘Carpeteater’ April Fools’ Issue Flap

Student Press Trend: Editor Resignations; Is This a Good Thing?

9 Responses to “Maneater Editor-in-Chief Also Resigns, Although He Was Not Involved in April Fools’ Issue”
  1. rileysnyder says:

This kind of thing is getting ridiculous. I have lost respect for the Maneater, not because of these firings, but because they appear to have the same kind of backbone as a banana.

2. Jon May says:

I think it’s a crying shame editors are forced to resign over their April Fools issues. Admittedly this was a bit over the top, but people seem to be baying for blood far too easily.
    A real shame to let talent like that go over a prank gone wrong.

1. […] « Maneater Editor-in-Chief Also Resigns, Although He Was Not Involved in April Fools’ Issue […]

2. […] editor-in-chief resigned and the paper canceled the 2013 April Fools’ […]

3. […] editor-in-chief resigned and the paper canceled the 2013 April Fools’ […]

4. […] Maneater Editor-in-Chief Also Resigns, Although He Was Not Involved in April Fools’ Issue […]

5. […] editor-in-chief resigned and the paper canceled the 2013 April Fools’ […]

6. […] Editor-in-chief Travis Cornejo also stepped down, although, per staff tradition, Cornejo was not involved with the April Fools’ […]

7. […] Maneater Editor-in-Chief Also Resigns, Although He Was Not Involved in April Fools’ Issue […]