California Community College Newspaper Gets the Boot Due to Budget Cuts

The Norco Voice is no more, at least for now.  The student newspaper at California’s Norco College– and its affiliated journalism course– are being shuttered amid an almost $1 million school budget cutback.

A local news report: “The almost $23,000 course and newspaper . . . were among the more expensive of lots of small budget cuts that a strategic planning council voted to recommend to the college president. . . . The Riverside Community College District and its three colleges, Norco, Riverside City and Moreno Valley, are in the fourth year of significant budget reductions and the cuts keep getting harder to find, district spokesman Jim Parsons said.”

The class sports around 20 students each semester, with related fees covering printing and staff pay.

The scariest quote, from the president of the Journalism Association of Community Colleges: “As journalism is becoming a life skill rather than a professional skill, community colleges are looking around in desperation for what they can cut.  I see it at campuses all over the state.”

2 Responses to “California Community College Newspaper Gets the Boot Due to Budget Cuts”
  1. Allan Lovelace says:

Gregory Gray, chancellor of Riverside Community College District, decided today — World Press Freedom Day — to fund the newspaper class at Norco College.