Rochester Student Magazine Changes ‘F-ck Cats’ Cover of April Fools’ Issue at Request of School Officials

Editors of Reporter magazine at Rochester Institute of Technology removed the phrase “F-CK CATS” from the cover of its upcoming April Fools’ edition yesterday at the urging of school administrators.  After the change, other portions of the already-printed issue– traditionally renamed Distorter— were trashed as well.

According to a post on the blog Infinity Quad (hat tip SPLC), the head of RIT’s in-house printing lab sent an issue PDF to a student affairs official for vetting after “students, staff, and a customer walking through [the lab] questioned the cover.”  The official and others immediately expressed concern about the “potty humor” of the “f-ck cats” phrase, along with its potential interpretation as a derogatory term for a portion of the “female anatomy.”  (Hmmm.)

Infinity Quad: “Brendan Cahill, Reporter managing editor, said Reporter agreed to make the change because it wanted the issue to be published.  The decision to review the magazine prior to its publication, however, did raise some questions, he said.”

There is a history of tension between RIT and the Reporter concerning its April Fools’ issue.  In 2009, the school ordered the removal of the Distorter from all campus newsstands and the Reporter‘s website soon after its release due to concerns about content.  The print issue was eventually cleared for distribution, but only from a single spot inside the main student center.  As shown below, the 2009 cover teases stories about stripping, bathroom hand-dryer safety, “cross-species” dating (apparently meaning between professors and students), and “hot looks for widows.”

Boston’s Daily Free Press Publishes April Fools’ Day Stories on Cinderella Prostitution, Dwarf Gang Rape

April Fools’ Joke . . . Gone Awry: Onward State ‘Kills’ Former Editor Who Mistakenly ‘Killed’ Joe Paterno

3 Responses to “Rochester Student Magazine Changes ‘F-ck Cats’ Cover of April Fools’ Issue at Request of School Officials”
  1. […] Rochester Student Magazine Changes ‘F-ck Cats’ Cover of April Fools’ Issue at Request of Schoo… […]

2. […] Rochester Student Magazine Changes ‘F-ck Cats’ Cover of April Fools’ Issue at Request of Schoo… […]

3. […] Rochester Student Magazine Changes ‘F-ck Cats’ Cover of April Fools’ Issue at Request of Schoo… […]